Lightning

Sold the L!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold the L!

Well, I got tired of being scared of slipping and sliding in all this rain, and with winter coming, I decided I'd had enough so I sold the Lightning last night. Plus, ramming into a concrete wall over 70mph made me gunshy about driving it in the rain. Like Cougar, I lost the edge, and turned in my wings.

I purchased a richly leather-clad 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon with a 5-speed tranny. I lost 210 bhp, and every last furry horse will be missed when the weather is nice. This is, however, a much more practical daily driver for my needs. If I could have kept the L for sunny weekends, I would have!

Funny thing - my brand new Wet Okole seat covers just arrived and I now have no Lightning to fit them on. They are now sitting in an unopened box by my front door. I ordered them black with navy blue trim and bear the SVT logo in white in the same spot where the factory embroidered SVT logo is on the leather seat. I am going to see if Wet Okole will take them back for a refund, but I'll give you guys and gals first dibs. If anyone's interested, e-mail me at juan@juanportela.com and I'll let them go for $308 shipped (what I paid for them). Incidentally, I also have a tremendously cool, red 3'x6' Ford SVT dealer banner in my garage that I'll let go for $100 shipped. Heck, I'll sell them both as a package for $360 shipped.

I'll miss you nice people, and I'll miss my truck everytime I see a ricer that needs a good hard spanking.

-- Juan

Old 09-26-2002, 08:25 PM
I just opened the box. Man, they look SHARP!!! I'll wait a day or two, and if I haven't heard anything from y'all, I'll just send them back. I'd just as soon one of you have them.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:27 PM
The banner is SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!!!!!!! You've got mail.....sorry bout the L tho

Old 09-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Man a wagon? Sheesh you could have at elast got a WRX sedan or at worst a wagon :P If I had the cash I'd buy both but work i shard right now sorry

Old 09-26-2002, 08:40 PM
I need a wagon for the same reasons I needed a pickup truck when I bought the L: I carry large stuff. The WRX wagon was too tiny and the front end looks like those talking cartoon Chevron cars with big eyes. Yeah, the turbo's great, but oh well.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Angry Oh, Drat and Bother...

Wet Okole says no returns on custom orders. I can't send them back! Please, somebody, buy these pretty, brand new seat covers and end my misery!

Old 09-26-2002, 10:12 PM
If you wanna hold them for about 2-3 weeks, ill be glad to purchase them... But, still tryin to get a job, so right now... no cash flow!

-Mike

Old 09-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Slipping and sliding in the rain???

No offense but these things are great in the rain...unless you drive like an idiot!

Mine is my daily driver...rain...snow...whatever all on the F1's. Not good in the snow...but awesome in the rain. You just can't WOT around a corner when it's pouring out.

A lil common sense goes a long way.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Saleen, do you slide like mad with you feather it in the snow?

Old 09-26-2002, 10:34 PM
No not really...you just have to take it real easy. Go slow...take the best plowed roads and its do-able. You really should not run on the F1's in the snow..but I am stubborn, but I never got around to getting snow tires. It will slip if you give it too much throttle, and its not a big fan of stopping when the roads are covered in snow.

It is definitely tricky...I won't say it isn't. Now rain...that's a piece of cake.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:02 PM
sorry , i disagree

these trucks are horrible in the rain and even worse in the snow. My father says the same about his. I've driven both. Put snow tires and and made a big difference but i'm more affraid of someone hitting me to be honest. Putting some weight in the back helps ALOT. If you don't use your bed much, throw a bunch of sandbags in there and you should be fine. But you must be insane to think you will get any traction in the snow the performance z rated tires.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Rest In Peace
Wink

Instead of spending the money on snow tires and risking the truck in bad weather i would rather just leave her at home and spend the money on a cheap beater. My baby dont come out if there is rain and snow forget that. And she dont come out if there is salt on the roads .

Last edited by BadAzz516; 09-26-2002 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:32 PM
That's the plan!!!

Looking for a beater for this winter as we speak!!!

Old 09-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 95 Saleen S351
Slipping and sliding in the rain???

No offense but these things are great in the rain...unless you drive like an idiot!

Mine is my daily driver...rain...snow...whatever all on the F1's. Not good in the snow...but awesome in the rain. You just can't WOT around a corner when it's pouring out.

A lil common sense goes a long way.
You know, I have written three previous different responses to this, and I would have regretted posting them, so those responses will stay in my brain and never come out. They would have not contributed to the peace and dignity of this fine message board. This one is less angry. Anger is useless.

I should have been more precise in my original post. The truck has only gotten out of sorts in the rain once, which resulted in an accident in which I think I hit some floating greasy stuff on I-65 going straight down the road and accelerating moderately. It was a tremendous, nearly fatal crash which I will not ever forget, and now every time it rains I am much more stressed than I was before. Every wind shimmy from a passing 18-wheeler chills my spine. My problem is largely a newfound psychological aversion to mixing rain with horsepower. I decided it wasn't worth making gigantic insurance and loan payments on something that I don't enjoy 100% anymore. What's the point in that?

Last edited by JuanInTN; 09-27-2002 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:18 AM
I have to ask, what year,color,miles and how much did you get? I agree with BADAZZ516 my baby don't like to play in the rain and she sure the heck won't go out of her nice heated garage to go out in the snow! I don't know about other states but here in good ol' West Virginia they put so much salt on the roads no matter what color truck you have you end up with a white one! The salt really puts the smack down on your ride. The West Virginia turnpike is the worst, they put straight salt down, If you pass one of there salt trucks they throw big *** chunks you can hear bangin' off your vehicle talk about chipping your paint.Instant rust spot! Thats why my Lightning is part bear it sleeps all winter!

Quick Reply: Sold the L!