Lightning

The new monster

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 11:49 PM
NOSTROMO
Hey factory tech....when can i drive over and you my tranny up?

Old 09-07-2001, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gregg, I would sure like to talk to you about doing a tranny for me. Could you e-mail me your number, please.

Old 09-07-2001, 07:40 PM
is it me or Factory_Tech ignoring this thread now?

We all want one!

Old 09-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Told my tech about this post and he said what you need to realize Noel is there is flex in a regular transmission with bushings and no flex in a needle bering transmission; consequently a lot of time has to be spent on a lathe making sure all the shafts are true. Second you will see all needle bering transmissions run with a girdle because the last thing you want in one is flex. He said the cost of one is around $8,000.
noelvm

Old 09-08-2001, 06:58 PM
Actually, in most transmissions, there is a lot more to changing to bearings than just putting bearings in. Torrington bearings come in specific sizes. Thrust washers in the transmissions are mainly a specific size, however there are usually a couple which are variable. This means the overall play in the trans has to be measured with a special tool to get the correct size needed. Also, there is often machine work that is necessary to make the case accompany the torringtons.

In the modern electronic transmission, there are actually very few thrust washers used anymore. They wear too easily, and once worn, the tollerances of the transmission are no longer correct.

Just curious Factory Tech, have you also welded the planetary cages like they do in the race trannies? I will soon have to do the trans in my rockcrawler Explorer (very familiar with the A4LD...... trans I learned on)..... this was supposed to be an off-road race trans..... but I got screwed. Oh well, I will fix. Next I will have to be doing the E4OD in my 94 Lightning (soon, not yet). Would appreciate any tips you might have, as I have not been in one of these yet.

I would love to see pics of the 4R100 mods. You can e-mail to gzimmerman@sprynet.com

Thanks,
Gloria (using Ricks log-in....... to lazy to change it)

Old 09-09-2001, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not ignoring the thread, but I've been busy.
Yes, doing an all bearing box is pretty involved, the machine shop bill was substantial on this one. It's a full race tranny and wouldn't really be a good box for a daily driver, but it was a lot of fun.
I'm building a good Gen 1 tranny now, it's for sale if anyone wants one, not compaitlbe with a Gen 2 (no tss and different solenoid) but if you have a 93-95 it'd work. All 6 gears, 7 plate low/reverse, needle bearings on the OPS and a 5 plate direct clutch with ball bearings in the 7 plate coast clutch. Not nearly as involved as the beast but a helluva box just the same.

G

Quick Reply: The new monster