Lightning

Ashtray/Cupholder messed up

Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashtray/Cupholder messed up

Pushed in my ashtray/cupholder one day a couple of weeks ago and I could tell a spring came off or broke right away. Now it won't "spring" back out and is very difficult to pull out (especially with my big fingeres). Anybody have any idea on how to get the cupholder out so I can take a look at repairing this thing? I've looked all over and can't figure out how in the world to get this thing loose.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I believe there is a prong on each side of the cup holder that need to be pushed in. This will allow it to be removed. To repair, just put the spring back in pace with a self tapping screw.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cup holder on my 03 lightning did the same thing. I can tell you that its not a spring that broke. Its hard to explain, but there is a silver metal piece that goes on the very back of the cupholder that is the width of the cupholder that gives it the springing action to pop the cupholder out. I have yet to fix mine because I never drive it. When you get it fixed please post how you fixed it so I can fix mine.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll post what I did and how I did it when I dig into this.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM
My cupholder/ashtray came out on my 97 F150 and I can't get it to go back in all the way. There is 2 spring clips on the back of the unit but no visible or logical place for them to go. There also is a small metal tab on the back of the reciever hole that looks like it fits into a notch on the holder to prevent the unit from coming out all the way. There has to be away to remove replace the unit to clean it or replace the light but it escapes my feebill mind. Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM
there are 2 tabs to push down. If you remove the ash tray you might be able to sneak your hand in there and pull the tabs down with your fingers.

You can see the tabs here. On the left and right sides.

Just a picture of inside the track. Also shows where the spring steel touches.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Firezap
there are 2 tabs to push down. If you remove the ash tray you might be able to sneak your hand in there and pull the tabs down with your fingers.

You can see the tabs here. On the left and right sides.

Just a picture of inside the track. Also shows where the spring steel touches.

Hope that helps.

Firezap!!! You are absolutely awesome!

Thanks muchos.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Thumbs up

Ta-dahh!

I fixed it! The biggest problem I had was getting those two tabs pushed down. When I saw the pictures I realized I was trying to push down on what I THOUGHT were two tabs but they were not. The picture really helped.

After getting the holder off I realized that the back silver flexible bar was not attached. I reached down in the pocket where the holder goes in and sure enough it was there. It has two plastic screws that attach it to the back of the cup holder and those two plastic "screws" were broken off. I drilled out the broken pieces on the back of the holder and took out the remaining bits attached to the silver bar and then put two metal screws in its place.

Put it all back together and it works great! I hat to think what the dealer would have charged to fix this....

Thanks for all your help fellas. I feel like going out and claybarring my truck now.... hehe.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Glad to help.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Firezap
Glad to help.
I'm still a little jealous that I don't have a light in my cupholder like you do.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
LOL been doing that since 1999.

I even put them in the lighter hole.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 PM
You're outa hand man!

I like.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Ash Tray Problems

Great post!!! My 2001 F150 had the same problem with the spring falling off. took me about 10 minutes to fix it once I found this post! Thanks!!
Don

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes, thank you. My spring too was just laying there in the bottom - picked it up, mounted it again and working. It's the little things.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did mine this morning. Used a couple of 10-24 screws and nuts, as I ddin't have any pop rivets large enough. Works like a champ. I installed my Prodigy brake controller, as well. It is nice do a couple of small things, that didn't turn into a major undertaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ashtray/Cupholder messed up