Lightning

Idea for oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idea for oil cooler

While fooling around under the truck, and removing the engine. I had an idea with the engine oil cooler where the oil filter screws on. 2 heater hoses run to it from the lower radiator hose. 180 deg water pulling heat away from engine oil. Idea is route the intercooler lines to circulate through the oil cooler with water that is same temp as outside air. It will be adding more heat to the intercooler system but with a larger aftermarket exchanger I don't think will add enough to cause any detonation or pinging problems ,benifits are cooler oil is better! especially in AZ. All you would need to buy is a lower hose for an f150 without an engine oil cooler, new black heater hose longer to tie it in.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:49 PM
umm.. if the engine doesn't reach normal operating temperature the PCM will use different fuel tables than it normally would.

that is the only downside I see.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Engine temp. is taken from the coolant temp., not oil temp.Since i have the stock exchanger laying around ,i was now thinking of mounting it behind the JDM aftermarket one and getting another intercooler pump and it would now have its own sealed circulation system.

Last edited by AZBLACKMONSOON; 03-17-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Idea for oil cooler