Lightning

Thumbs Up To JLP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thumbs Up To JLP...

A while back I ordered a rear end cover from JLP. Well, it showed up and the powder coat was flaking off in a few spots.

I took it today with me to the NMRA races in Bradenton and stopped by the JLP truck. Sue took a quick look at it and promptly swapped it out for one she had in the truck.

I was so happy I bought a Metco auxiliary idler kit, a matching idler pulley and a new Gatorback belt.

So far I have bought a set of 58" traction bars, the 4" drop shackles, a cold air kit, the rear end cover and now the aux idler kit from JLP and all I can say is they are a good group to do business with.

Just wish I could have seen the black beast there at the track...

Old 03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thumbs Up To JLP...

Originally posted by B-Man
A while back I ordered a rear end cover from JLP. Well, it showed up and the powder coat was flaking off in a few spots.

I took it today with me to the NMRA races in Bradenton and stopped by the JLP truck. Sue took a quick look at it and promptly swapped it out for one she had in the truck.

I was so happy I bought a Metco auxiliary idler kit, a matching idler pulley and a new Gatorback belt.

So far I have bought a set of 58" traction bars, the 4" drop shackles, a cold air kit, the rear end cover and now the aux idler kit from JLP and all I can say is they are a good group to do business with.

Just wish I could have seen the black beast there at the track...
I agree with you 100%!!
Bryan

Old 03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Its allways great to meet great people like John and Sue and Mason. I guess Sue has the worlds fastest HD now. Went an 11.016@ 122. With still more left in it.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Re: Re: Thumbs Up To JLP...

Originally posted by bglanden
I agree with you 100%!!
Bryan
I also agree 105%

Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 PM
My experiences with Johnny and Sue have always been first class service!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:52 PM
I can't say enough good things. Sue is great and goes the extra mile when dealing with you. Johnny gives us great tested products and is always there for any questions.

A+ all around!!

,Jason

Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by bobver
My experiences with Johnny and Sue have always been first class service!

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 AM
You guys will p[robably be able to answer a question for me. Is the JLP forced air induction kit going to make much difference over the regular one?

Old 03-14-2005, 01:42 PM
floridalawdog: no. and yes. can't forget maybe either. it all depends on who you ask. usually it just turns into a pissing match/personal attacks when debated on this forum.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 PM
That was no help. What is your opinion on the issue. What i have always understood is that while your driving air is being flushed through thre engine compartment anyways, so it is the same air regardless.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Floridalawdog
You guys will p[robably be able to answer a question for me. Is the JLP forced air induction kit going to make much difference over the regular one?
If I understand correctly you will not see any difference in performance from an aftermarket cold air intake over stock until you get up around 450rwhp or somewhere close.

Also, something to note, is there is no such thing as “forced air” intake on a blower motor. Even at 140mph or so it will not be fast enough to force any air pass the blower that is sucking in more air then could ever be forced into the intake.

I could be wrong but I would love to see some data on the cfm of air sucked into the intake from a standard cold air intake vs. a “forced air” intake. It would be very interesting indeed…

Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

The "ram air" effect isn't supposed to force more air past the blower and into the engine - it is supposed to make the air that is available around the air filter cooler. The top of the JLP CAI is perforated, so it couldn't pressurize the air box anyway.

I agree you will not see any difference on a dyno (with the ram air), but it would be interesting to see a measurement when the truck is in motion.

I respectfully disagree with 01 XLT - I think the CAI kit is a step towards more performance, just like exhaust, pulleys, chips, etc. By itself, not a huge gain - combined with other mods, significant total gains. I don't know how the 450 HP # was calculated, but you have to get there somehow, right? Besides, they look better with underhood bling!!!

Look at it this way: it can't hurt to force cooler air into the engine compartment.

People go to a lot of effort to make hood scoops functional, and no one seems to have a problem with doing that. Why the big controversy on the ram air kits from PSP, JLP, etc. ?

Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 AM
I think it all depends on the letter on your varsity sweater, if you know what I mean.

I agree with B-Man on the CAI (anyone's CAI) being a piece in the complete mod puzzle.

Remember - engines are nothing mre than air pumps with losses to heat and friction. If you make it easier for air to get into the pump the potential for more flow is now there. The only thing that will produce big results with a single bolt-on is the the MOST restrictive element in the system. I, for one, do not know what that is, but it could include:

1) Air Filter
2) MAF
3) TB Boot
4) TB
5) Plenum
6) Blower
7) IC
8) intake Runners
9) Valves/Valve Timing
10) Exhasust Manifolds
11) Cat (front or rear)
12) Cat-BAck

All of these items are air flow related and a mismatch is flow potential anywhere in this train WILL reduce the total system flow POTENTIAL

As with any motor - the combination of parts is the key.

As for which CAI does what best - no clue - I have never seen any imperical data to support "mine is better than his" claims. Flow, velocity, pressure and temps would need to be measured and compared at the scoop inlet, the filter inlet and the MAF inlet at idle, part throttle and WOT with appropriate air speeds induced on the truck (and with the hood closed) to get a set of REAL DATA to compare these systems.

Sorry - no direct help, but a vote for ditch the stock box.

Herb

Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, I agree with both B-Man and Herb101 as far as any type of modification to get more air into the motor is not a bad thing. The 450hp number just came from what I “remember” reading in many post.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this could elaborate but I recall reading many times that until you get up to a particular horsepower, and/or mods that an air intake won’t really gain you much performance wise and the same for an exhaust system.

My post was just meant to point out that for a stock truck someone should not consider much of a performance gain with any kind of modification to the air intake and same goes for aftermarket exhaust.

Both are nice to have, and if stock or close to stock they should be purchased for sound and/or the bling factor since you most likely will not notice are real performance gain…

Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
There are no nicer people than Johnny and Harley Sue period.....Glad to hear about another satisfied customer.....

PEacE........................
Jim

Quick Reply: Thumbs Up To JLP...