Tailgate light bar install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate light bar install?

I was thinking of purchasing the Plasmaglow 10594 FireStorm Amber Scanning LED 60-Inch Tailgate Bar .

After reading the install instructions, im alittle confused.

THis one seems to have an issue with plugging it into the 4 pin. It says the wires need to be connected to the specific wires for right turn, left turn, brake, etc. Not the shared wires. They have an adapter you can get for the 4 pin setup but I do have the 7 pin.

My truck has the tow package with the 7 pin. THe 7 pin wires shouldnt have an issue with this ?

2004 F150 5.4 lariat New body style

Last edited by oneidgoof; 09-21-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add truck
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you see that? I've never seen a tailgate bar that doesnt have the standard 4-pin.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Quick google turned up there is a note about that model on the manufactures page :

http://www.plasmaglow.com/firestorm-led-tailgate-bar/

Please note that this item requires wiring. Detailed instructions are included. If you would like to reduce the required wiring, it is recommended that you purchase the FireStorm Trailer Plug Controller (Part # 10999) that will allow you to use your factory trailer hitch plug.
Seems this model needs the turn signals to be separate from the stop lamps, so it knows to have the amber lights & scan function for the turn signal function only ( else the stop lamp would be the same as the turn, and it would look like you have your hazard lamps on ).

Does not matter if you use the 4 pin or the 7 pin, the circuit is a combo stop / turn.

You either need the part listed above, or:
1. you need to get your turn signals to the rear of the truck ( quick route is to to wire them to the front turn signals ).
and
2. You need to use the aftermarket CHMSL circuit or wire direct to the Brake Pedal Position switch at the brake pedal for the stop lamp function.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have the factory wiring and plugs both the 4 pin and 7 pin are already there

Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my question was "Are the turn signals and brake lights still linked with the 7 pin towing package?"

I know they are with the 4 pin and the install instructions say specifically that it wont work, but it doesnt really say anything about the 7 pin.

I looked at the 7 pin under the truck and found a wiring diagram online. It looks like they are seperatate for the 7 pin, but they could still be linked somewhere toward the front fo the truck.

Any know for sure?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does not matter if you use the 4 pin or the 7 pin, the circuit is a combo stop / turn.

Not too sure what diagram you found online, but the standard 7 pin "RV" trailer tow adapter is combo stop / turn circuit.

There is a brake pin, but this is for the output of the electric brake controller to the trailer.

The towing sub subforum has all the diagrams for the 7 pin, but this is what Ford supplies with the truck when the tow package is installed.

Quick Reply: Tailgate light bar install?