Amazing photos: FX-R Retro in my F150 vs Nissan Titan w/ Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing photos: FX-R Retro in my F150 vs Nissan Titan w/ Silverstars

I have completed my FX-R retro with 50 watt 5000K bulbs from "theretrofitsource.com" and all I can say is wow. I have seen many photos on the Internet of the FX-R beam, but they are always taken with a camera on auto, which doesn't show the whole picture. Here is a set of photos taken with my DSLR camera on manual (same shutter speed, aperture, and film speed) so no autocorrection on intensity. This is my lights next to a four-bulb Nissan Titan (all 4 are on for high-beam, unlike the F150) with Silverstar bulbs. The Titan's lights are outstanding for halogens, and are much better than my stock setup.

The two trucks are sitting side-by-side for this test.

Nissan Titan on low beam

FX-R on low beam

Nissan Titan on high beam

FX-R on high beam

I expected a big difference, but this was surprising. Now, keep in mind that if you look at one, then the other, the difference isn't quite as dramatic because your pupil will shrink from the increased light. The difference is still dramatic though.

Also, unfortunately, I didn't turn off auto white-balance, so the color is slightly modified (as can be seen from the sky). The intensity of the sky is a little different between pictures because the sun was setting as I was running this experiment.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
That's a really big improvement nice work and thanks for sharing.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow! thats abig difference, here is my 08 f150 with aftermarket projector headlight housings and silverstars. and my camera was on auto. so the sides are darker in the pics than they actually were.

lows

highs

lows far

highs far

lows on road

highs on road

Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Timmypstyle,

Those look like a nice improvement. Thanks for posting.

It is hard to compare intensity of lights from photographs unless they were taken with a fixed shutter speed, aperture and film speed (and preferably the same camera). You can clearly see, however, how much wider the FX-R setup is than stock reflectors. I was able to see two deer standing on the shoulder of the Interstate yesterday when I was in the middle lane. There was the right lane, a wide shoulder, and 10' to the side of me before the deer. Gotta like that!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Another well done mod

Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2009KR
Timmypstyle,

Those look like a nice improvement. Thanks for posting.

It is hard to compare intensity of lights from photographs unless they were taken with a fixed shutter speed, aperture and film speed (and preferably the same camera). You can clearly see, however, how much wider the FX-R setup is than stock reflectors. I was able to see two deer standing on the shoulder of the Interstate yesterday when I was in the middle lane. There was the right lane, a wide shoulder, and 10' to the side of me before the deer. Gotta like that!
yeah and i dont know my way around a camera lol. and those pics were all with my projector housings. my stock housings are at my parents attic about 1500 miles away. but they are better than the stock ones were. i also had silverstars in my 04 heritage with the stock housings and it was a HUGE improvement with the highbeams. shined very far and were bright. low beams only went a little farther and were whiter. ONLY problem i had was that they blew just shy of them being a year old. my 08 has had them since late 2008 and they are still going good. wish they made silverstar ultras for my truck tho.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello 2009KR: Did you do a write up or show pictures of your mod.I visited the website you mentioned. It is hard to navigate in there. I was hoping for a search function where you input your truck model and they give you a package.

thanks
msk

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by msk59
Hello 2009KR: Did you do a write up or show pictures of your mod.I visited the website you mentioned. It is hard to navigate in there. I was hoping for a search function where you input your truck model and they give you a package.

thanks
msk
I started this thread to show the results of my retrofit. I have seen great writeups on how to do the mod and good pictures of the projectors in the F150 housings, but no good pictures showing how much brighter and wider the FX-Rs are compared to stock. I didn't take many pictures while doing the mod.

Quick Reply: Amazing photos: FX-R Retro in my F150 vs Nissan Titan w/ Silverstars