Louder exhaust on my 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
If you go with dual mufflers, dual chambered mufflers will have the same tone ( as packed mufflers will also ), but the chambered mufflers will have a more awkward warping/wrap/crackle type sound under revs and high rpm. Direct flowing packed mufflers will just sound out the engines natural sound in a toned manner. My main point is, if you change to duals, change mufflers while your at it. True duals won't make a dramatic tone increase over a single muffler. Matter of fact by slowing down the exhaust systems velocity with a loss of static pressure, you aren't getting the full heart tone of the muffler taking the force of the single exhaust to 'filter the sound'. In short, the duals will be more aggressive under WOT, and sound the same at low rpm and idle. If anything, the idle will sound more 'dual-ly'.

I love the well toned sound of the Magnapack over the dual Bullets I had on my last truck, but the raw aggressive attack that the Bullets had was quite nice. I am loving the deep rich tone this Magnapack puts out, but it could be a little better. By that I refer to the rasp Magnaflows put out at WOT. Borla is the best of both worlds but the deal at the time for the Magnapack made it the deal breaker. If you decide to change your tubing to dual, or just change the muffler, the Bullet is now available in stainless, and is very well priced. I wouldn't hesitate to go for it if you enjoy the sound.

That is exactly how I want it. Do different year trucks sound different? Its same engine.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4man13
F150 Exhaust 3 - YouTube

That is exactly how I want it. Do different year trucks sound different? Its same engine.
Ahh that's Matt Blouir's truck. He made me go for the Bullets. A very nice black out FX4 indeed.

Considering he had the 2 larger cat design, and mine had the 4 cat system with the rear two removed, I think they sounded quite similar. If anything mine may have put out more decibels.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Ahh that's Matt Blouir's truck. He made me go for the Bullets. A very nice black out FX4 indeed.

Considering he had the 2 larger cat design, and mine had the 4 cat system with the rear two removed, I think they sounded quite similar. If anything mine may have put out more decibels.

Gothica Last Exhaust Video, 04 F-150 true dual Bullets - YouTube
They sound so crisp, I'm not sure how to explain it I'll throw a video up of how my truck sounds now and I'll start of with the high flows which I'll get within the next week

Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Gothica Last Exhaust Video, 04 F-150 true dual Bullets - YouTube
I actually am selling the ol 02 and looking at an 04-07 f150 and will be doing same dynomax bullet setup. Id say spring time It should be in then ill be posting up video.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Yep, the 4 cats is killing your tone. Hi-flow cats, or Dynomax Bullet muffler.
Just had a quick question. My dads going to be giving me his 03 f250 5.4 and of course I'm thinking of exhaust already. Is it almost the same motor at the 5.4 in my f150? There must be more power and would the f250 be putting out better sound or no?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4man13

Just had a quick question. My dads going to be giving me his 03 f250 5.4 and of course I'm thinking of exhaust already. Is it almost the same motor at the 5.4 in my f150? There must be more power and would the f250 be putting out better sound or no?
PI f150 and PI F250 5.4 2v are the same, no more power. Sound wise depends on the exhaust configuration. Aka cats, piping size, and placement of Y pipe and muffler.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For some reason the 5.4L SDs sound so much better than the F150s, 2v that is. I highly prefer my 5.4L 3v over the SD 5.4 2v, but still a great sound.

My step-brother's truck is a '99 5.4 with a 3" system and an original 40 Flowmaster. I have a video of it here.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:39 PM
For some reason the 5.4L SDs sound so much better than the F150s, 2v that is. I highly prefer my 5.4L 3v over the SD 5.4 2v, but still a great sound.

My step-brother's truck is a '99 5.4 with a 3" system and an original 40 Flowmaster. I have a video of it here.
Ford F250 5.4L Flowmaster Original 40 SI/DO - YouTube
I wonder how the bullets would sound on the f250's from what your saying. I feel they will sound the same or a little better

Quick Reply: Louder exhaust on my 5.4