cai with stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cai with stock tune?

I have an 06 with the 5.4 with k&n 57 series Cai. This is the plastic tube one. Anyone else running this without programmer and no issues? Had it on over a month without any lean codes. Heard the 04-05s are most problematic. If I could go back I would have done the gotts mod but the money has already been spent. Let me know if u have similar setup. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You are probably alright with the 06, just listen for pinging when under a heavy load. Incidently, the CAI does not do much for you without a custom tune. About 6-8 hp.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
About 6-8 hp.
At 4500+ RPMs (if I recall the dyno sheet correctly).

Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

I'll take the corollary position. I would not run a Washoobi on any 3V without a corrected tune.

No lean codes does not mean anything, really.

The MAF is still affected. Hence the Transfer function is still going to be off.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...91&postcount=6

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=9

Originally Posted by VMP Tuning
We can tune for different cold air intakes on 05+ Mustangs and 04+ F150s. Any aftermarket intake that flows well and puts the slot-style MAF sensor into a larger less restrictive housing is going to REQUIRE a tune for the vehicle to run properly. Intakes that do not require a tune are often just as restrictive as stock and do not result in large power gains.
^^^ note the "+".

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=165&parent=66

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-08-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
The dyno sheet it came with said 13 to 15 horsepower but I sure can't tell. U think they dyno with stock or aftermarket tunes? I did reset ecm if anyone was wondering for what its worth. Okay so I know there are a hundred threads on programmers out there but is edge or gryphon best with custom loaded tunes? And are both of these able to have custom tunes loaded? Trying to justify the almost 500 they cost with 2 custom tunes.(probably custom 87 tow and performance) opinions? Or better prices?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Global Moderator &

The Edge is not custom programmable. Has to be an SCT product or the Gryphon. The Gryphon is the same hardware as the Edge, but comes from PHP. Another option is the Diablo that if I understand it correctly, has canned tunes for specific CAIs.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Who knows how they came up with those dyno sheets. That is marketing goble dee goop. The guys writing tunes have dynoed several CAIs and did not come up with the same results as the manufacturers.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
I have an 06 with the 5.4 with k&n 57 series Cai. This is the plastic tube one. Anyone else running this without programmer and no issues? Had it on over a month without any lean codes. Heard the 04-05s are most problematic. If I could go back I would have done the gotts mod but the money has already been spent. Let me know if u have similar setup. Thanks.
On a side note, I have asked several times on here, and NOT ONE person has been able to provide %100 positive evidence of motor having issues directly because of a CAI without a tune! Now thats not saying you should or should not get a tune. You ultimately have to make that decision on your own. I ran a Spectre on my truck for 6 months, and then stock for the next 6 months and have seen no ill effects from it. I am currently getting ready to get a tuner without a CAI.

Just thought I would put that out there!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by shakin
On a side note, I have asked several times on here, and NOT ONE person has been able to provide %100 positive evidence of motor having issues directly because of a CAI without a tune! Now thats not saying you should or should not get a tune. You ultimately have to make that decision on your own. I ran a Spectre on my truck for 6 months, and then stock for the next 6 months and have seen no ill effects from it. I am currently getting ready to get a tuner without a CAI.

There have been several instances where members had lean codes after installing a CAI. They were smart enough to remove it or get custom tunes before it ruined their motor. This was most often on a 2004 or 2005, but a couple of later years as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you think what you know your saying....
Pick up the phone and call a tuner....
They'll provide you with what you're looking for.
Then you'll have your answer
Links are in my Sig.....

Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
This information where no one seems sure is what I had been reading. Thanks for the discussions and info. Just thought i would see if anyone had ran same or similar setup with no issues. Is php the only place people can get custom tunes? I live in Idaho and don't know of anyone who can write custom tunes for a programmer. I know I can send to php but is there anywhere else to get them for less than 500?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Before you think what you know your saying....
Pick up the phone and call a tuner....
They'll provide you with what you're looking for.
Then you'll have your answer
Links are in my Sig.....
I'm not thinking anything. I KNOW for a fact that I have asked if anyone has hard proof of a CAI actually causing motor damage. I have never seen any proof to date. It's up to the person asking the question to decide if they need a tune. I personally decided the minor, not noticable gains the intake gave werent worth the risk.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Good info shakin. May try and resell and do the gotts. Time will tell. Just paid 230 for it a month ago so we'll see if I can get 200 out of it on Craigslist. Probably not but worth a shot.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Bluejay, ive got an 04 with the gotts mod. i see youve got a custom tuned edge. wondering what tune you have? id like to run the same setup.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not thinking anything. I KNOW for a fact that I have asked if anyone has hard proof of a CAI actually causing motor damage. I have never seen any proof to date. It's up to the person asking the question to decide if they need a tune. I personally decided the minor, not noticable gains the intake gave werent worth the risk.
I only asked you to perform a simple task to get the information that you are looking for...

Just do what I asked and have your horizons broadened....
That's all.

Quick Reply: cai with stock tune?