The Gotts Intake with pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Gotts Intake with pics

The other day here when I was cleaning up my K&N drop I was trying to find ways of improving the stock system. I didn't like the modification under the "technical articles" as I drive in dusty conditions alot of the time and on many vehicles it will lose performance. As I tore the stock box out of the fender wall I noticed that the snorkel gets considerably smaller the deeper it goes into the fender, all the way down to 2" in diameter. I also didn't want to spend $200-$300 on an intake.

I started doing some rough measurements of the stock system and the end of the stock box where it connects to the snorkel was 3.5" in diameter and the hole into the fender was approxiametely 3.25" in diameter but kind of ovally.

So off to Home Depot I went and I picked up a chunk of 3" PVC pipe and a 3" rubber cuplor. When I got back home and started tearing it apart I realized that for the PVC pipe it was 3" in Diameter on the inside and 3.5" on the outside. No big deal, get out the angle grinder and grind down the end until it fit, I then crammed the hole setup up 1.5" into the fender.

The end result is a true full 3" COLD AIR intake, (none of that ram air $h!t) for about $16. Also it is 100% reversible, not one stock piece was modified so you could take it back to stock without replacing a thing

This would be the stock box with the modified snorkel in place.

The diameter of the PVC pipe, 3"...... (socks with sandels, what a loser........)

The diameter of the stock snorkel, barely making it to 2"

And what it looks like installed on the truck

Let me know what you guys think

Edit: Its a 2000 5.4L

Last edited by Gotts2BMe; 08-19-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Huh, okok -

ColdAirRules

Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM

anyone else try it yet?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I want to try this along with removing the silencer from the L-tube but I have a couple question first

how do you remove this end piece?

do you enlarge the fender opening or leave the hole alone?

I'm not ready to install my procharger just yet so I want to modify the stock intake since I sold my K&N and I notice the lack of throttle response

Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM

I just realized why imagethrust wouldn't upload for me. My other pics are down as well. I will re-upload them up to f150online here a little later on

This is the hole that the stock intake tube goes into the fender well. It has not been modified except for a little bit of paint that got scraped off while trying to fit the PVC in

As you can see inside the airbox there is a little nipple in there. There is one on both sides of the airbox where the stock snorkel was removed

This is the stock snorkel piece that was removed from the stock airbox as seen above. You should notice the little hole cut in it, near the top. There is one of those on either side where it clips into the airbox. I just used a couple of flat head screw drivers to lift the tabs up and it slides right out.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM

awsome thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 PM

just did that to mine today (still waiting a couple of parts before i install the procharger and I sold my K&N CAI)

looks good and truck seems to like it way better than it did when i stuck the stock intake back on it maybe next weekend I'll yank out the silencer if my other parts aren't in yet

Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 AM

right on. You will have to let me how you like it especially once the silencer is out of there. I removed the silencer before hand and didn't notice chit with it but once I modified the air box I REALLY noticed a difference.

Anyone else care to give it a try? You wont be disappointed

Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Try something like this...

I can't see the pics of your homemade intake, maybe it's the ****... but this one WORKS!

Last edited by SSCULLY; 08-31-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Seeings how I can't modify my first image with the better photos I guess I will just post them down here in th esame order as up there

Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM

gotts2BMe; you really need to place this as a technical article if you want I'll type it up and submit it if your pictures can be used since it's your idea and I didn't take any pics

TexEdition I had a similar setup with a rubbermaid trashcan but I sold the complete CAI when I picked up my procharger but I am getting a few upgrades (39# injectors, 90mm MAF etc) before I install it and tow it to the tuners in Austin. When I get boost on the 2001 I'll race my wife in the harley truck and see who wins

Old 09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I just put on my modified intake tube last weekend and am happy with the results! The total cost for me was around $12. Of course the only problem I had was grinding down the end of the tube that goes into the fender. After a dozen trips from the bench grinder to my truck, I finally got it to fit. Make sure you have that tube cut to the proper length because I busted my first tube on the saw trying to cut it to length. Also watch out for the "stock snorkel" because it has a little angle on it, which in turn makes the modified tube a little bit of a tight fit.
I noticed some other replies talking about a "silencer" in the L tube. Where is it located approximately and does anybody have a pic of it? I would like to make my truck sound as mean as possible without tearing it up too much.
By the way I call my new modification my "Redneck Intake"!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
nice feet . i think i have those sandals

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
gotts2BMe; you really need to place this as a technical article if you want I'll type it up and submit it if your pictures can be used since it's your idea and I didn't take any pics

TexEdition I had a similar setup with a rubbermaid trashcan but I sold the complete CAI when I picked up my procharger but I am getting a few upgrades (39# injectors, 90mm MAF etc) before I install it and tow it to the tuners in Austin. When I get boost on the 2001 I'll race my wife in the harley truck and see who wins
Who is the tuner in Austin that you're using? I've got an Xcal 2 on order from Troyer and would dig being able to take it somewhere local for a dyno.

Somone that knows our trucks!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Motion Dynamics in Pflugerville (sorry it's not exactly in austin but close enough for me)

address is:

110 Russell Street
Pflugerville Texas

670-2271 BRIAN is thier tuner

they tuned wigginwillys' truck and they are a supporting vendor of another site I am on.

Quick Reply: The Gotts Intake with pics