Strange electrical behavior after rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange electrical behavior after rain

After a weekend of fairly heavy rain, I've been experiencing strange electrical issues in my 2002 F-150 5.4L V-8. Started engine first thing in the morning and the radio quit working, the wiper blades stayed on intermittent regardless of how the switch was set. fan blower motor stayed on even though the switch was turned off, heard a series of four beeps (under left side dashboard) off and on while driving and my seat belt indicator light and chime quit working. Finally, the alarm would not disengage, which prevented the truck from starting.

Tried disconnecting the battery, but when I reconnected it, the alarm went off. This time I was able to turn it off with the keyless remote.

What in the world is going on here??!!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
LWS - Leaky Windshield Syndrome. A collection of problems that result from water dripping into the GEM and fusebox modules under the left side of the dash.

Solution: GET THE WINDSHIELD RE-SEALED! Dry it out and hope you're lucky so you don't have to buy another GEM and/or fusebox.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what happened...Water thru the leaky windshield into the cab...Thanks for the heads up..Things have returned to normal more or less, although the blower motor still runs after the truck is turned off..A bad relay maybe?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
No, water in the fusebox. Common symptom.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Would it help to pull the relays and spray the lugs and socket with electrical contact cleaner?

Quick Reply: Strange electrical behavior after rain