interior lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior lights flashing

My interior lights flash when I open the door. This is before I get in and start it. When I shut the door, lights quit flashing. EVERYTHING else is working just fine. Also, and this seems weird, if I get out and lock the door and then use my security code to unlock the door, when I open it, the lights do NOT flash. Open the door, get out, close the door,...open door, lights flashing again.

Any thoughts? I read about the possible grounding problem behind the drivers side kick panel...think that could cause this?

dslater

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
What year and model?

Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 PM
2001 Lariat supercrew 4x4 Lariat

Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the truck info.

I would start with the state that the lights are flashing and move the rubber boot around that is from the door to the a pillar.

I am thinking the ground wire in that boot that is frayed.
- It could be luck that the door keypad route works.

The next could be the ground wire in the kick panel on the driver's side, maybe check that as well to make sure it has a clean tight connection.

I would put it down the line ( for no other reason that a gut feeling ) that the door switch is going. Could be a good WD-40 clean out of the door latch could do the trick. This is supposition that I have this so far down the list. Dealers choice if you want to try this 1st.

One other side question, is there an aftermarket remote start or alarm installed ?
- If you are not the original owner, it might require a look under the dash to see if there is one installed that was abandoned.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I' ll give those a try .

Old 10-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Also, anyone have any tips on removing the driver's side kick panel? I moved the wires in the rubber boot (which has obviously been moved before I owned it), and was able to make the lights work properly for a couple of moments...but then they started flashing again. This leads to me to think it's a wiring problem and thought I'd check the grounds behind the kick panel first before I dig into the door wiring. I cringe just thinking about it.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks to SSCULLY! The problem was a broken wire in the wire loom inside the door boot. It was a small black wire...I'm assuming that was a ground. It was not "hot", but when I touched both ends together the lights quick blinking, so I made a 3" connector wire using butt connectors and shrink tubing. Everything seems to be fine now. What a nightmare to get into! My old hands had a tough time with it.

Quick Reply: interior lights flashing