Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problem

Hey Guys Great Forum.. Jeff from Ohio. I have a problem with my 2006 F150 Lariat... about a year ago I had 2 alternators go bad in about a 30 day time frame, both were rebuilt. I replaced the 3rd with a brand new alternator and haven't had any problems until yesterday... it seems when it rains or we have blowing snow I lose power.. Gauges go crazy and the truck will not start until it dry's out or sits for an extended period of time. The mechanic thought he had the problem figured out after the 3rd alternator, he found a loose terminal/ connector and repaired it... until now, 1 year later... same symptoms but no visibly loose connections or wires..it only occurs after blowing rain and or snow..just got the truck started and the charging system appears to be working... Need help before I decide to blow it up

Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Welcome!

Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Jeff, I've moved your thread into the Electrical forum. You might get more help from our electrical gurus here.

About the only thing I can think of off hand is how is your battery? An alternator is not designed to recharge a badly discharged battery and I know from experience that a weak battery can take out an alternator.

- Jack

Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you explain what "lose power" means ?

Is the truck dead no power at all, will crank but not start, no crank no start, PATS lamp flashing fast, etc.

Need to know what happens when the truck will not start.

Cranks or does not crank

PATS lamp, does this go out when you turn the key to the run position ( before starting ).

Also what are ALL the modifications to the truck.
- not just the ones you think might have something to do with this.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, hoping someone has already found the answers, here goes, I have a 2000 f150, replaced the altenator, starter, battery and some fuses, still battery light comes on and drains battery when i start and run it. I dont know what else to do! Any suggestions? Please, raise grandkids and dont have money for a mechanic, I have always had to fix my own, surly their are others like me out here. Please help.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem