turn signal malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 PM
ejt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signal malfunction

My 2012 Raptor is having problems with the turn signals. It started out with the right turn signal not canceling after a turn, which could only be fixed by pushing the stalk up again in the right turn orientation. Since that started about a week ago I've been getting a load of other random problems:

- Right turn signal sometimes comes on when starting the truck, after the other dash functions light up in 5-10 seconds.
- Sometimes I only get the lane change three blinks for the right turn signal.
- Occasionally the right turn signal goes on when pushing the stalk down for a left turn, which can really make you feel like an idiot when driving.
- The right turn signal will come on by itself without the stalk being touched.

I can sometimes make the problems go away for awhile by exercising the stalk up and down a bunch of times. The four way flashers work fine. After doing some internet research I'm thinking it could be the multifunction switch. It doesn't seem like the type of problem caused by a bad clockspring or flasher, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem and what they did to fix it. Can't complain too much as it's only the second problem I've had in 38K; this truck has really been reliable and fun. Thank you very much.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ejt
My 2012 Raptor is having problems with the turn signals. It started out with the right turn signal not canceling after a turn, which could only be fixed by pushing the stalk up again in the right turn orientation. Since that started about a week ago I've been getting a load of other random problems...
Sounds like it's time to get your truck into the hands of the dealership, ejt. Keep us in the loop moving forward; if you need my help after getting a diagnosis, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like multi function switch in the column or problem with the smart junction box

Old 12-24-2014, 04:42 PM
ejt
I had never heard of the smart junction box, and after looking it up online it looks like a nightmare if that's the problem. Gotta research that a little more; I'd love to get inside that sucker and reprogram a bunch of things. Strangely, the turn signals are working better lately. Love these gremlins.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM
ejt
I hate to jinx myself, but the problem has completely gone away all by itself. Dontcha love electronics gremlins on new vehicles?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ejt
I hate to jinx myself, but the problem has completely gone away all by itself. Dontcha love electronics gremlins on new vehicles?
Yes, they can be fun. I'd think your truck is possibly still under warranty though and if so, you want the dealership to know about your problem, even if it seems to be fixed for now. I think you can make a later warranty claim if the problem is first noted and recorded with them within the warranty period.

- Jack

Quick Reply: turn signal malfunction