need help & advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile need help & advice

Let me start at the beginning,I have a 2001 f150 screw 4x2, with a used 5.4L engine that I just put in,it had a 4.6L Romeo that was installed from the factory, it also was one of the trucks that was recalled for the cruise control that was causing the trucks to burst into flames, so these people just gave me the truck, they just wanted it out of site out of mind. I've been working on this truck for about 5 or more years,when ever I had some spare time and money, I'm at the end of the tunnel sort of, I have replaced the complete wiring harness inside and out, the entire interior( seats,dash,headliner,all door panels ect.) What it boils down to now is this,when I got the wiring harness I also got the PCM, it was all out of the same yr.same everything as my truck with a 4.6L engine in it,since I've replaced the 4.6 with a 5.4L engine the truck will not turnover everything else on the truck works except power windows,having minor problem,I could replace the PCM with a new one as long as the info I give the dealer is correct, that is not cheap cost big bucks is there a way to reprogram or reflash my current PCM with all the new info, I would think that I would save a good chunk of cash, so that is the stage I'm at now. Any advice and or help would be great believe me it would be great.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to move this up to Tuners... while it's not an exact fit within that forum, I'm thinking that you may get more of a response there... maybe.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Rockpick, I think his problem is really an electrical one, so I'm moving it to that forum. Eventually though, one of us will get it right. (Probably with a lot of help from some of the old time forum members.)

I know there can be real problems when switching engines in these trucks. I think starting the engine is just the beginning of the things that can and do go wrong.

- Jack

Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does "will not turnover" mean no crank no start or a crank no start issue ?
- One is you turn the key and the starter does nothing the other the starter turns and turns but the engine does not start.

If it is a crank no start a few things come to mind.

1. The PATS system.
- Should not be an issue if you did not change the cluster or PCM and are using the keys that worked prior to 5.4L engine swap. It did start and run with the 4.6 engine, correct ?
When you turn the key from off to run ( do not start ) the theft light does go out correct ?

2. Replacing the complete wiring, does this include the fuse panel ?
- You say everything is the same, does that included 4x2 vs 4x4 and trim level and options ?
- The GEM attached to the back of the CJB ( aka Central Junction Box, cab fuse panel ) is different depending on the trim level and truck options.

3. Fuse pump.
- Did you check the fuse inertia switch ?
- When you turn the key from off to run ( do not start ) do you hear the fuel pump run. This is after the truck has sat for some time or if you bleed off the fuel pressure with the schrader valve on the fuel rail ( with a rag wrapped around it, it is under pressure and will spray you in the eyes per Murphy's law ). If you have cycled the key and have pressure, the fuel pump will not run again until the pressure is off the system, so a dead fuel pump can be mis-ID'd by a fuel rail that is up to operating pressure.

4. Did you check JMCs thread on his 5.4L swap ?
- He did almost a similar swap as you, but on an older MY truck.

Few questions to get an idea of what some of this means ( can read both ways, best to verify before moving on ).

Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for helping out, Steve... zero problem on the move, J&J!

Quick Reply: need help & advice