Headlight only work in "auto"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight only work in "auto"

05 screw with no electrical or lighting mods. The other morning when I left the house, turned on the lights, all of the marker lights, dash, fog, etc. come on normally but no headlights. Placed switch in auto and all works fine, including lights. Move switch back and forth between auto and manual a few times and lights finally come on in manual. Next few days they worked fine. Now again this weekend it did it again. Everything worked fine in auto but no headlights in manual. Run the lights in the auto position and after about 5 min on the road switched back to manual and lights came on. I'm thinking possibly a bad headlight switch or maybe a relay that’s hanging up or has a bad contact. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions. I've searched some of the forums but most of the problems I see are when the lights don't work in auto not manual.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had you used the turn signals in the time of going from Auto back to manual ?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
not that I can recall, but I did just have the clockspring recall for the air bag completed the week before.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Taking a look at both diagrams, and you description, it only points to the main headlamp switch for what you are saying.

If the MFS has no impact on it ( my thought was VSM to MFS splice ) then I think you have it narrowed down.

Headlamps

AutoLamps

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Great, I'll look into the switch... I really appreciate the schematic.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Headlight only work in "auto"