Window Switch Shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Switch Shorting out

ok. so i hop in my truck on one of these nice 90* days, and my a/c doesnt work and i know this, so i go to roll down my window and to my suprise it failed to do so. I tried the passenger one and it worked fine. So i went to where the wires travel in the rubber sleeve from the door panel to the dash and wiggled it a little and managed to get my window down. i was relieved. Untill my Girlfriend got in the truck and went to go roll her window up so her hair wouldnt get messed up, only to find out that when she put her window up it put mine up as well. So i wiggled the wires again and got my window down again. Now ive been wiggling the wires for about 2 weeks now and it has been working but now it stopped. Now when i attempt to push the down button to roll my window down, the lights on the door panels light up, but that is only when i push the up button. In the mean time the passenger side will go up and down perfectly fine even when operated from the driver side. Now when i hit the down button for the driver window i hear what seems to be a relay clicking. Could this be something to look at. I dont understand how one side could work but the other not.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's almost impossible for the passenger switch to operate the driver's window. It would take some FREAKY wiring spaghetti to make that happen. If you're not familiar with 12V circuits, just take it to a pro for diagnosis/repair.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, first, you're probably not "shorting out", because that would blow fuses. However, you likely have an "open circuit", that prevents electrical current from reaching the window motor.

The fact that things happen or DID happen when you "wiggled" wires is a big clue. Looking at the age of your truck and the fact that connections in the wiring in this area seem to be prone to corrosion and wear, tells me you should expose all of that wiring if you can and look for damage. I suspect you'll find some and when you repair it, you'll be fine.

- Jack

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might want to take the first step.

Pull the rubber boot off the wires in the door, and run them all. Obviously there is something wrong with it, as you have been wiggling it to get things to work.

Quick Reply: Window Switch Shorting out