Multifunction switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multifunction switch

I am going to replace the multifunction switch on a 200 Expedition. How do you remove the plastic covering around the steering wheel?
thanks,

Old 10-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Not certain on your truck but today I removed the MFS on my 2000 F150. I removed the lever for the tilt column by unscewing it then removed 3 philips screws from the bottom of the plastic column housing. You can feel the recesses for them or see them from underneath. The bottom half of the plastic housing came out with a little persuasion. I was then able to remove the two torx screws holding the MFS using a hex driver that fit tight even though you should really use a torx driver. There are two locking tabs for each of the two connectors on the MSF. Are you replacing or trying to clean and rebuild it? What were your symptoms? I'm having directional problems.

Have fun.

ricochet

Old 10-01-2004, 11:01 PM
My son is having the (ghost wiper) problem.
thanks,

Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Hello, well I removed and reconditioned the MFS on my F150. It really wasn't hard as long as you're careful at dissasembly and observe what does what within the assembly. I found a great deal of thick dialectric grease and much of the copper contact area for the directionals had what looked like a glazing and was blued from heat and arching. used some sand paper and recoated with new grease before reassembly. I'm not sure if this was the cause of the problem as I later located the flasher unit which was burnt inernally. It's beyond me why they locate the flashers where they did way up under the dash where you can't reach and in a position where you can't get the cover off. Why wouldn't they be where or near the fusebox?

I still have to get the new flasher. Keeping fingers crossed.

ricochet

Old 10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Also, to remove the upper part of the plastic housing you need to remove the ignition switch. This is surprisingly easy to do:
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Turn the key to "On"
  • From under the steering column (using an awl, small screwdriver, small torx, etc) press in on the ignition switch locking tab. There is a hole in the lower part of the housing to do this (it’s the one hole that isn’t a screw hole), but I found this easier to do once I removed the lower half of the housing so I could see the pin to push in.
I actually spent more time fighting the plugs on the back of the MFS switch, they have real good locking mechanisms, than getting to the switch.

Last edited by tbh999; 10-09-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:16 PM
someone please advise me if it is really worth attempting this mfs replacement myself or take it to the dealer have replaced the flasher and the bulbs and still no luck has to be the mfs so thats the next job really gettin irritated with this issue lol HELP!

Quick Reply: Multifunction switch