'05 F150 stalls when slowing/stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 F150 stalls when slowing/stopping

Yesterday, I decided to tidy up my battery terminals, which were covered with white crud. Now the truck will idle super low (~300 RPM) and even stall when I'm slowing to stop at an intersection.

However, it will sit at a normal idle all day long once stationary.

I have the Edge Evolution on Power Level 2.

Should I have unplugged the Edge before disconnecting the battery wires? I've been reading lots about trucks with similar problems that may be resolved by replacing the MAF sensor, TPS, even the throttle body!

However, the fact that I never had this problem in 7 years and it started right after disconnect/reconnecting the battery seems strange to me.

Truck has a 4.6 with about 100K miles. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by jack270; 03-01-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added a bit of clarifying info
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Return the tune to stock and see what it does. If that takes care of it, you can try reloading the tune.

Disconnecting the battery cleared your adaptive learning and it may take a week or so for things to return to normal.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 PM
By "return the tune to stock", do you mean disconnect the Edge?

Thanks for your help----Jack

Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-06-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 PM
I appreciate your help.

This is messed up. The truck is now dangerous to drive. I have to keep my left foot on the brake and feather the throttle when slowing to prevent stalling. It quit on me today while turning right at a busy intersection and with no power steering, I was unable stay in my lane.

So, apologies for being obtuse, but "reflash the stock tune" means nothing to me. I have read through the manual and can think of two possibilities. Do you mean,

1. Under Power Programming (page 13), I am given the option to select Level 1 (trans. only), Level 2(towing) or Level 3 (performance). I don't see a Level 0.

2. Under reset Evo settings (page 34) I am given the option to restore the Evo back to its original factory settings. As far as I know, it has always been on the original settings as I have never done anything custom to it.

At the moment, the Evo is unplugged. The truck starts and idles like a dream at around 650 RPM or so. It drives fine. However, when slowing to a stop, the RPMs kind of oscillate up and down, below 500, sometimes to the point where the truck stalls. Once at a stop, it will idle just fine again.

Should I mess around with this Fusion software and upgrade the thing? It's probably 4 years old.

If you could provide me with any specific guidance as to how I can get the PCM to re-enter adaptive mode or whatever, I would be grateful. Thanks---Jack

Old 03-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
When you uploaded a tune to your truck, it stored your factory tune on the Edge as "0". You need to up load that factory tune back on your truck. Then start trying to diagnose the problem if it still exists.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Mission accomplished. The low idle/stalling problem is no more. However, now I am running on the stock tune. I am missing some get up and go in my truck!

What are your thoughts and restoring the Level 2 tune now? Am I asking for trouble? Has my Evo just become a fancy looking but useless dashboard accessory?

Suggestions appreciated!

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try loading the tune again. If it goes back to low idle, return to stock again. I would try a different tune if that happens to see if another tune does it too.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot that my 08 V6 would try to stall and bounce around at idle for the first while after I bought it brand new. It stalled out going 100mph once because I pushed in the clutch to coast and it stalled on me. With the tune I loaded, it did this all over again for a few thousand miles but I also raised my idle rpms by 150 or so to help fight it. It would idle and then randomly drop and struggle to stay running and then bounce back up. It didnt happened in like 3 years after it adapted except if I drove home in cold temps like 25 then started next day at like 80 degrees. It would do it once or twice and be good.

Quick Reply: '05 F150 stalls when slowing/stopping