Gryphon users! Am I screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gryphon users! Am I screwed!

I posted on here about having my Gryphon going off and on and the suggestion was made to check the connection to the truck. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the unit seemed to be working as normal.

I was supposed to go quading this morning and went over to my brothers to get his trailer and pick him up. I had to switch from my 87 Performance program to the 87 Tow program. It started to change as it should but when it was loading the program it zipped through all 4 steps faster than it ever has before and left my truck unable to start. Every time I tried to reload the program it came up as either "OBD cable incapadible for application" or "150 error code call tech support". As everyone knows PHP will not be back until Monday and I have forgotten my password to their forum to boot. My day is just getting better and better.

So are these error messages a result of a bad cable? Now that it has screwed up my tune and the truck won't run, will getting a new cable and reloading the tune be enough or is something more involved?

Last edited by grizzstang; 01-16-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
In addition to the potential cable or ODB port problem, this could also be the symptoms of a weak battery.

Here is one Bill's posts re: the same issue (from PHP's website):

It sounds like you've definitely got a power issue going on here. For the time being, leave the Gryphon unplugged until you resolve the nature of the electrical issue.

Because of the nature of the symptoms (radio reset, Gryphon resetting for no apparent reason) I would lean towards a weak battery. This time of year often sees cold start problems and marginal batteries that work fine over the summer and early fall will quickly start showing signs of weakness as the temps drop.

As to the error 150, it occurs when the Gryphon is trying to communicate with the PCM and can't. The most likely reason for this is that the key is not in the "on" position when the unit reboots, as would be the case if you just jumped into the truck. Simply turn the key to the "on" position, disconnect the OBDII cable from below the dash, and then reconnect. The PCM's calibration code should display and you should be good to go.

Again, until the electrical thing is sorted, I'd leave it unplugged. Assuming it is the battery, if the unit happens to reboot overnight, the display may stay on and the subsequent current draw may kill an already weak battery. It's happens quite a bit this time of year and even happened to us this time last year. A new battery and all is well.
I would send a PM to JackandJanet on this site. As a mod on PHP's site, he might be able to reset your password or find your old one.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can also use the forgot password feature on the site and it will email you rest and let you in

Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry, a Mod can't reset a password, at least not on this site or PHP's. That takes administrator privileges. And, I cannot recall if there's a lost password feature or not. I stay logged in all the time, (and I've got my passwords in a "safe" anyway), so I don't have that problem.

I'd try unplugging the cable, turning the key ON and plug it back in again. Then, try to return your tune to stock! If that works, leave it there! You DO NOT want a cold PCM or Gryphon when you try this either. Warm the PCM with your Wife's hair dryer and have the Gryphon indoors where it's warm to make them both "toasty". It's possible cold temps were the cause of the programming error.

If you can't get the truck running, PM me with a phone number Bill can get to you on. I'll leave a message on his cell if your truck still won't start, and, I think he'll try to call you.

Unfortunately, if it's a cable problem, I suspect you're going to be waiting a while. If that's the case, and you can't get your truck started, probably the best solution would be to tow it to a dealer for a reflash.

Bill will be able to advise you when you talk to him.

- Jack

Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 PM
PHP forum does have the forgot your password feature but I signed up using my work email so that won't do me any good until I go back to work Monday.

I don't think the cold was a problem. It was in the heated garage all night and was only outside for about 15 minutes on the way to my brothers house. We are having a chinook here right now and it was around 0 degrees C outside at the time or 32 degrees F. Which I would not consider cold. The instruction manual mentions not to make any changes in extreme temps but does not give any guidelines as to what that is.

I have tried unplugging the programmer multiple times, key on, with the results stated in my original post.

I have resigned myself to not having my truck until at least talking to Bill and longer if it is the cable. Thankfully it is not my only vehicle but it is my only truck. Hopefully I can get a hold of them Monday.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
PHP forum does have the forgot your password feature but I signed up using my work email so that won't do me any good until I go back to work Monday.

I don't think the cold was a problem. It was in the heated garage all night and was only outside for about 15 minutes on the way to my brothers house. We are having a chinook here right now and it was around 0 degrees C outside at the time or 32 degrees F. Which I would not consider cold. The instruction manual mentions not to make any changes in extreme temps but does not give any guidelines as to what that is.

I have tried unplugging the programmer multiple times, key on, with the results stated in my original post.

I have resigned myself to not having my truck until at least talking to Bill and longer if it is the cable. Thankfully it is not my only vehicle but it is my only truck. Hopefully I can get a hold of them Monday.
I know the xcals made by sct reccomend not reflashing anything when at 32 degreees or under. I would assume it would be the same with all programmers since its the pcm that you have to worry about.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
32 degrees F. I will use that as a future guideline. Thanks truckncrew04.

Maybe the temp was an issue?

I just shot an email off to Bill and Corey so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
32 degrees F. I will use that as a future guideline. Thanks truckncrew04.

Maybe the temp was an issue?
Yeah - you have to be aware of that ...

Here's an old post with some more detail if yer interested=> https://www.f150online.com/forums/2492349-post6.html

As has been said before: If you can pre-warm the truck (which includes the PCM), keep the battery fully charged, and have a warm handheld, you can successfully flash yer truck on an ice flow in a blizzard at night in Antarctica. Yer still stuck, but yer tune will work

Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Well if I don't hear from Bill today I will take the heat gun (to warm the truck pcm) and the battery charger and give it another go tonight while it is still kinda warm here. The Gryphon is sitting warm in the house already.

I am far from an expert but from the messages read from the Gryphon I am leaning toward a connection issue (cable issue) but what do I know.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would unplug the Gryphan and disconnect the battery for several minutes with the lights on.. then hook the battery back up. try and start it.. if it starts sut it off after a few minute plug the Gryphon back in..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Well that did not work. It was about 45 degrees F here yesterday. I went over and hooked up the battery charger on a 10 amp charge and tried again. I got the same errors in my original post. The battery seems alright to me.

I am not sure what disconnecting the battery will do. I feel like it has loaded a partial tune into the truck pcm and I don't know you can clear that by disconnecting the battery. I am willing to try anything at this point as the weather is about to turn cold and working on it outside will soon suck.

I am going to PM JackandJanet or set the truck on fire, I haven't decided which yet.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Well that did not work. It was about 45 degrees F here yesterday. I went over and hooked up the battery charger on a 10 amp charge and tried again. I got the same errors in my original post. The battery seems alright to me.

I am not sure what disconnecting the battery will do. I feel like it has loaded a partial tune into the truck pcm and I don't know you can clear that by disconnecting the battery. I am willing to try anything at this point as the weather is about to turn cold and working on it outside will soon suck.

I am going to PM JackandJanet or set the truck on fire, I haven't decided which yet.
Maybe both! PM him and tell you just set it on fire.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it is a cable issue you may want to contact edge while PHP is out and have edge send you a new cable. I know this is money out of your own pocket but it may get you going again. Hopefully sometime this week or next PHP will be back. Personally I'd wait, there may be an underlying issue that Bill may know about.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
If it is a cable issue you may want to contact edge while PHP is out and have edge send you a new cable. I know this is money out of your own pocket but it may get you going again. Hopefully sometime this week or next PHP will be back. Personally I'd wait, there may be an underlying issue that Bill may know about.
I was thinking about getting a cable from Edge but I would like to talk with Bill so I can be sure that this is the problem. I would also like to know that now I have a partial tune loaded (I am assuming that), can I just reload my tune and have the programmer work as normal once I have a new cable?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
it's not the cable. his stock file is stuck on the gryphon and he lost which ever tune he was switching to. i had this same problem a long time ago let me try to find the post.

Quick Reply: Gryphon users! Am I screwed!