edge froze while tuning....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge froze while tuning....

oh crap.... well i went to go back to stock on my 2002 5.4 and i set it to return to stock, it started, went to clean up the garage, came back 5 min later and it was still on writing 1 of 4, 14%. so i left it for another 10 min and it was still there. now it just shut off and my truck wont start..... and edge is closed.......anyone know of a way i can get this fixed?

Adam M

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue02FX4
oh crap.... well i went to go back to stock on my 2002 5.4 and i set it to return to stock, it started, went to clean up the garage, came back 5 min later and it was still on writing 1 of 4, 14%. so i left it for another 10 min and it was still there. now it just shut off and my truck wont start..... and edge is closed.......anyone know of a way i can get this fixed?

Adam M
Edge has been having problems with the cords sounds like you have a defective unit. Try playing with the cord and plug it back in

Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
been trying, no matter what it sticks on the edge is initializing screen.... truck turns and wont start. and yes, i do turn the key on when i put the edge in. i dont get it, in the 2 years ive had this thing ive never had a problem....and the lightning stuff doesnt owrk on vista os.... great, i really dont wanna go to the dealer to get this thing flashed....

Last edited by Blue02FX4; 06-08-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
been trying, no matter what it sticks on the edge is initializing screen.... truck turns and wont start. and yes, i do turn the key on when i put the edge in. i dont get it, in the 2 years ive had this thing ive never had a problem....and the lightning stuff doesnt owrk on vista os.... great, i really dont wanna go to the dealer to get this thing flashed....
This may be a long shot but maybe disconnect the battery for a hour and see if it may reset. Man that really sucks i cant believe that no one else has chimmed in

Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have thought and thought. You posted the only thing I can think of. If you turned the key off, unplugged it, turned the key back on and then plugged it back in, then I just don't know.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
ok... i got a buddys comp with XP and it still has all my .bin files on it, so im hoping talking with someone at edge will get me the key so i can fix this little problem.

i feel a little better now....

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I wish Jack would check in, he knows these things very well.

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I wish Jack would check in, he knows these things very well.
i wish he would too! then he could tell me if i hae all the .bin codes i need. I have bank0xxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx.bin, bank1xxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx.bin, bank8xxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx.bin, bank9xxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx.bin, and vidxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx.bin that show on the lightning thing when i click on get stock calibrations.

Edit: and im pretty sure (not 100% sure, but for some reason i remember that) my hex code was ODAL1FY.HEX

Adam M

Last edited by Blue02FX4; 06-08-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Try the battery disconnect and at the same time put a charger on the battery. Make sure every thing else is off.
Another longshot.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Nothing short of contacting Edge or having Ford reflash is going to fix it. Edge no longer uses lightning software it uses Fusion now. You will need to conatct a service tech at Edge. They will set the unit to do a force reflash of the stock flash....

This has happened to me several times, it's a pain in the butt! This is why PHP has stopped selling the unit for 97-03....

Edge is aware of the issue, but they have stated they can't duplicate the problemin house so therefor they can't fix it! I've had 2 units swapped out and new cords. I still have the problem.

I'm still holding my fingers crossed, it suxs to not even be able to adjust the minimal of things without it killing your truck.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DBRASCO
Nothing short of contacting Edge or having Ford reflash is going to fix it. Edge no longer uses lightning software it uses Fusion now. You will need to conatct a service tech at Edge. They will set the unit to do a force reflash of the stock flash....

This has happened to me several times, it's a pain in the butt! This is why PHP has stopped selling the unit for 97-03....

Edge is aware of the issue, but they have stated they can't duplicate the problemin house so therefor they can't fix it! I've had 2 units swapped out and new cords. I still have the problem.

I'm still holding my fingers crossed, it suxs to not even be able to adjust the minimal of things without it killing your truck.
Finally, someone testifying about the cable issue!
Maybe some of those wanting the edge or gryphon for 97-03 should read your problem. PIA! Just because of a badly crimped cable?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry, I was at a meeting last night and didn't bother to come to the forum when I got back - not that it would have helped. I agree that it sounds like the bad cable problem that has been plaguing these units for the past two months.

I don't know at which end of the cable the problem area is, but from what I read, it sounds like a faulty contact due to bad assembly at one of the plugs.

Unless Edge has a better idea, and since your truck is dead anyway, I wonder if you could get it to complete a program by "wiggling" or distorting the cable either at the OBDII plug or at the plug in the back of the Edge?

You say the unit is stuck on the initializing screen - if you could get a proper electrical connection to get the unit past that screen, then maybe if you could hold the cable that way, you could get it reprogrammed to Level 0. It doesn't take long to do this, so that's what I'd try to do.

As I said, your truck is dead, so you really have nothing to lose by trying this.

And, sorry I don't have any better ideas.

- Jack

Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Man I've been seeing all of the write ups on the 97-03's and this cable issue and can say I've had mine installed since October 08 and have not had any issues. kow, I wished I had the cable spec's and pin out or even a spare cable I could try and find someone like Black Box locally and have one made. If mine was to fail then I definatly would what would I have to lose. I could probably make alot of new friends (as if I don't have a bunch of you guys already) if I could resolve this. But surely Edge could do the same thing but it seems like the original cable manufacturer would be willing to resolve this as soon as possible since it's loosing sales. But maybe not if Edge hasn't adopted the same policy as PHP by not selling the product.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
ok... got it back to stock...... AHHHH.... the edge tech helped me a bunch, and it even froze twice while trying to tune with him. so after we got it stock and running, he said he would send me a new unit and cable.......

i feel better now...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
ok... got it back to stock...... AHHHH.... the edge tech helped me a bunch, and it even froze twice while trying to tune with him. so after we got it stock and running, he said he would send me a new unit and cable.......

i feel better now...
I can't tell you how delighted I am for you! Honestly! I would NOT want to be in the position you were in for even a minute. And, I'm getting to be really impressed with the support Edge is offering to everyone now. They've really stepped up to the plate in my opinion.

The cable problem is not their fault, but it DOES take time to work through difficulties of this nature.

Now, as a kindness to we who try to help others, could you tell us what Edge did for you that got you back in business? I KNOW Bluejay and I would appreciate a "blow-by-blow" (I know, someone's going to just have a field day with that phrase), but I'm asking for specifics, if you can give them.

- Jack

Quick Reply: edge froze while tuning....