Horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Horsepower gains

Are there any graphs showing actual horsepower and torque gains by using a superchip on a ford 5.4 ? I want more than firmer shifts for my money. Is there any proof of added horsepower or torque ? I would like more power but want to see the proof. I know most people like the superchip, but I haven't seen the real world proof, please help.

------------------
01 supercrew XLT,4x2,all black,5.4,captains chairs,355 ltd slip,trailer tow grp,remote keyless entry.
(MODS)gibson supertruck,K&N generation II air intake,expy console,lund intercepter,A.R.E LSII hard tonneau,tinted windows,E&G classics mesh speed grill,mud gaurds,ford seat covers, bed liner,ventvisor's,westin chrome nerf bars,smittybuilt outland sport bumper guard,KC daylighters, Hella fogs, Jensen flip down 6.8 TV, santeca 4" TV in passenger sunvisor,DVD player,panosonic cdqf800 fm-cd,pioneer 6865 speakers,keypad, lightning tails & brake light,hellwig rear swaybarics at http://www.f150world.com/4DOOR/

Old 06-20-2001, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html
I'm sure you have seen this. There is a graph here. I have a Superchip in my truck. I can't tell you if I am getting the gains that are claimed. I can tell that I am getting gains. I guess we have to rely on peoples word, or get access to a dyno. I'd think if the diverse group here using the Superchip notice better performance, than it is probably doing what they say it will.
Thats my 2 cents.
(yes I know I'm an idiot, you said 5.4. the stuff about att the people using it, that is what I ment to say.)

[This message has been edited by wittom (edited 06-20-2001).]

Old 06-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 4DOOR,

The "real-world proof" is already right here, in everyone who is actually using it and commenting here on their results as they have been doing for years now. These are the very people who have installed it, and they won't say they like it and talk about it's improvements in power if it didn't do basically what we say it does. These vehicles are heavy enough that it takes a good 15-20 horsepower increase to really be able to feel any real difference in the seat of the pants, so to speak, so when you see people talking about feeling that power gain, you know that it's basically delivering the goods.

There is a graph in our online ordering system, the one that "wittom" provided the link to, but it's a just a limited graph that was designed to show just whats happens to power during the upshifts in automatic models, thanks to removing the transitional spark retard that is in the factory program, to reduce power during and just after the upshifts. That particular graph wasn't done to express absolute power results, it's about what happens during the upshift on automatics and how the power is improved just at that particular point.

Just to give you a little background info on this 4DOOR, Superchips is a different from any other chipmaker in that they currently have over 13,000 different applications, wheras the next closest has maybe 1000; most have only a couple hundred applications, and some only a few. So just as a consequence of how many different applications they have, they don't keep all of the tens of thousands of dyno plots for every one of their applications. They verify the gains when they finalize the tuning of course, and so they're satisfied that they've gotten the most power that can safely be made for a given application, and then it's on to the next, they haven't worried about trying to save all those plots over the years for every application due to their sheer volume of applications.

At Superchips, it's really an engineering-driven company as opposed to being a marketing-driven company. Consequently, they don't spend much money on marketing materials per se, instead they have always spent it on the actual R&D of the programs, which is why they work so well.

We have asked them to provide us with dyno plots for these late-model F-150's, and they are going to start saving those plots as they happen for new vehicle development in the future. In fact, right now they have the chassis dyno "down" for hardware upgrades to give them the ability to provide a number of different types of plots and other features. I would expect that to still take at least a few months after they get their hardware changes made to their dyno, and then get us plots as vehicles come in for that R&D in the future.

In terms of what you can expect from the Superchip, think of it in round numbers as about a 10%-12% power-gainer. This is the same basic power gain on any of these gas engines in the F-trucks, whether it's the 4.2 V-6, 4.6 or 5.4 V-8, or even the V-10 motors, they all respond roughly about the same to this tuning process, where the engine is re-tuned specifically for the use of premium gas.

In terms of the Superchip's rated gains, for the 1999 & newer 260 hp version of the 5,.4 motor it's rated at a maximum of 28 horsepower and 46 lbs./ft. of torque at the flywheel. (This equates to a maximum gain of about 20 or so horsepower at the rear wheels, as there is about a 65 hp loss to the drivetrain in the 4R70W automatic models, 70 hp in the 4R100 automatics). Like all the factory power ratings, the Superchips's gains are expressed at the flywheel at sea level altitude; in the case of the Superchip, also on high-quality premium gas.

The exact gains *you* will see in your particular F-150 will depend primarily on your altitude & fuel quality, just as your stock power output depends on those same factors. For example, someone living above sea level will make less power, both stock and chipped, but they'll still see the same basic 10%-12% increase in power from the Superchip over what they were making before. Or, if someone is using a low-energy or poor quality premium fuel with the Superchip, they will not see the same power gains, so your *exact* horsepower increase, in terms of the actual number, 23, 28, 19, etc., will depend primarily on altitude & fuel quality, and that is not something you'd see on a dyno plot from the manufacturer, each plot is just one vehicle, as it was run at that time, place, altitude & fuel.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, our contact info is just below & we're always happy to speak with you.

I hope this info helps a bit,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Horsepower gains