Yet another wreck....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another wreck....

I guess the body shop left the wreck magnets in my truck after they fixed it both times; atleast this one is minor. My mom was backing out of my garage and hit my truck. She only got the rear bumper and I got all of her white paint off but I have a 4 inch wide scuff into the surface of the clear coat that could probably be buffed out to a nice shine. I wish I could say the same for her Focus. The scuff is only on end of the passenger side of the bumper. It doesn't photograph well but I will try again tonight.

Thankfully there are no dents, the plastic cap is untouched and she missed the bed completely. I am going to buy a buffer but I need to know what compound I can buy at AutoZone that will bring the shine back inexpensively as I just bought another car on Saturday (for my son) and need to put money into it for parts rather than buying an expensive buffer and compounds.

Recommendations?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way to tell for sure without pictures.

If you can feel the scratches then they will not buff out completely. You mention that you are going to buy a buffer at Autozone. If this is a $40 buffer, it's not going to perform any paint correction... you might as well do it by hand. If you are going to buy a rotary polisher then know that you can easily burn through the paint.

If the scratches are fairly deep then I'd recommend Mequiars Ultimate Compound or slightly less abrasive Scratch X 2.0. If on the light side, I'd recommend Swirl X.