Detail rag cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detail rag cleaning

So after a nice afternoon of detailing I have a pile of rags. For the ones with protectants and cleaners, I just thow them in the washing machine and they are clean in minutes.

But for those rags that were use during wax application and removal, how do I clean those? One time I washed them in the washing machine, and that was the last time. For years I've just thrown them out. Saving them would be nice.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For applying wax I always use buffer pads or small wax applicators. To clean them I make a bucket up of warm water and Dawn and soak them in it. Then after awhile I scrub them with my hands, hit them with some water, give them a spin on the buffer to fling out as much water as I can, and then I put them somewhere to dry.

For the towels I use to buff off the wax residue I always just wash them in my wash machine with hot water. Never had a problem. What happened when you tried it? Also, I run them through two cycles. One with soap and then other with just water.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Intel486
For applying wax I always use buffer pads or small wax applicators. To clean them I make a bucket up of warm water and Dawn and soak them in it. Then after awhile I scrub them with my hands, hit them with some water, give them a spin on the buffer to fling out as much water as I can, and then I put them somewhere to dry.
That's what I do for the buffing pads... wash in bucket with soap and a little amonia. Has always worked for me.

For the towels I use to buff off the wax residue I always just wash them in my wash machine with hot water. Never had a problem. What happened when you tried it? Also, I run them through two cycles. One with soap and then other with just water.
The last time I washed them in the washer, it left a wax residue throughout the drum. Had to wipe it down and run a an empty load with amonia to strip it out. After that, the clothes smelled of the wax for a couple of loads.

That was about 15 years ago. Maybe wax or detergent technologies have changed.

Maybe the detergent makes a difference. What kind of detergent are you using?

Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Threadhead
The last time I washed them in the washer, it left a wax residue throughout the drum. Had to wipe it down and run a an empty load with amonia to strip it out. After that, the clothes smelled of the wax for a couple of loads.

That was about 15 years ago. Maybe wax or detergent technologies have changed.

Maybe the detergent makes a difference. What kind of detergent are you using?
Things may have changed as I've never noticed a wax residue from wax before.

I normally use Dreft Liquid Detergent or Tide.

Quick Reply: Detail rag cleaning