Clear Coat Peeling

Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear Coat Peeling

While waxing my 98 black truck, I noticed that there were numerous one inch slits running front to back in the paint in the left rain gutter at the top of the truck. I know I did'nt scratch it that bad in the gutter.

I found out from these boards that this may be a sign paint failure, although the paint underneath seams fine. The scratches (which can be felt with a fingernail) are limited to the clear coat.

My Question is this: Has anyone else had this type of problem concerning the rain gutter paint and what did you do about it. Will it get worse and will I see the actual paint start to fall off? Is there anything I can do to prevent further deteriorization of the paint?

Right now, because there is still paint on the truck, it doesn't bother me too much, I could live with the scratches in the clear coat up there. I can't live with peeling paint.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rain gutters are know to have paint peel in them. I noticed it after my warranty ran out :-( So, I just try not to look up there too much...

Getting my truck repainted is the last thing on a long list of things I want to spend my money on (including getting a couple of waverunners.... ohh yeah!)...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Coat Peeling