Towing & Hauling

Suspension Air Bags....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Suspension Air Bags....

Hey Guys....has anyone installed airbags in the rear leafs in order to keep the ride at the stock position when towing a trailer?

I am looking at using airbags in order to keep the truck at it's stock level.

Any comments on airbags....Good or Bad?

Old 03-27-2001, 05:23 PM
Hey, 2001, its me again!

I had them on my '88 F250. I bought an AirLift kit at Canadian Tire (this is about 10 years ago).

I would drop them down to 10 psi when running empty and back up to higher pressure when loaded. I didn't bother with the in-cab controls and compressor, just ran a valve out to the rear license plate frame.

They worked really well and I would buy them again. The only issue I see is that the dealer might say you were using them to overload the truck if you have a warranty issue.

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10 LS
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust, Superchip Flipchip

[This message has been edited by Ian N (edited 03-27-2001).]

Old 03-27-2001, 06:36 PM
I installed a set of AirLift airbags in the back. They make a big difference and allow the truck to carry the load much nicer. Also, they do not ride bad when unloaded, you just let the air down. It works well. I installed them in a few hours and I also went with the onboard compressor. The whole thing was less than $400 with me doing the work.

------------------
2001 Ford F150 Supercab 4.6L
Airlift Rear Suspention with onboard compressor

Old 04-04-2001, 10:27 PM
FastDEW, where did you mount the compressor, and the controller in the cab? Any advice on how to route the airlines and wires from the controller to the compressor? Can you post some pictures of the installation?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Thumbs up

I did a spindle lift on the front end of my SuperCrew to level out the truck.(2WD) If I put any kind of load in it or hauled the boat, the back end dropped. I had air-bags installed and problem solved. They work great and do not negatively affect the ride.

Old 04-05-2001, 01:10 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yaroslow:
FastDEW, where did you mount the compressor, and the controller in the cab? Any advice on how to route the airlines and wires from the controller to the compressor? Can you post some pictures of the installation?
Thanks in advance.
</font>
I am running out the door to the airport. I will post a detailed install and photos next week when I get back.

------------------
2001 Ford F150 Supercab 4.6L
Airlift Rear Suspention with onboard compressor

Old 04-22-2001, 10:14 PM
Just finished installing the Airlift 59501 air bags. Only ones stocked locally. Relatively straight forward and great instructions. Except the relocation of the brake bracket hole needed to be in the diagonally opposite direction from what they stated. Also used washes in place of thin wall tube spacer provided to space bracket away from frame.
I wanted to minimize lift so went with a plate to plate distance of 9.38 inches (inside). At 10 psi, am only 1/8 inch higher at the axle. Ride is no different than before. No compressor yet, just mounted valves in lower rear licence plate mount holes.

Would appreciate hearing where others are mounting compressors and gages. How are you getting the wiring and air lines into the cab?

Old 05-14-2001, 08:28 PM
Question

Will Air Lift bags be able to give me a 3-4" lift when I am carrying a heavy load? Their web site FAQ only suggests that one will get a 1-2" lift.

Dino

homepage: http://www.geocities.com/blueskywhiteclouds

Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering

[This message has been edited by bluesky (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bluesky (edited 05-15-2001).]

Quick Reply: Suspension Air Bags....