Best suited for my application

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best suited for my application

So im just starting to look at custom tunes for my truck and im trying to get some more info about what will best suit my application.

for those who dont know my truck its got a 4.2 and M5OD manual trans.

im looking at either a gryphon or xcal(2 or 3). im just not sure what will be best for my truck and give me the most gains.

also with the gryphon would i be able to monitor stuff like mpg etc

Jake

Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
So im just starting to look at custom tunes for my truck and im trying to get some more info about what will best suit my application.

for those who dont know my truck its got a 4.2 and M5OD manual trans.

im looking at either a gryphon or xcal(2 or 3). im just not sure what will be best for my truck and give me the most gains.

also with the gryphon would i be able to monitor stuff like mpg etc

Jake
I am not sure how much improvement you will get out of custom tunes unless they are increasing spark advance or timing. Something of that effect, but you would be able to monitor your mpgs. It uses a formula based upon your speed/rpms to calculate your mpgs. The majority of the tuning (as far as I know) is geared towards your transmission by allowing you to shift more in the powerband which you can choose to do manually (having a manual trans). If I were you, I would get the gryphon just for the look and the monitoring capabilities. It will allow you to see pretty much any reading/parameters/ voltages that the computer gets.

One option I would recommend for you is the Scanguage 2. It will allow to monitor all of the same things as the edge does and pull/clear CEL codes, but doesn't have the tunes.

Last edited by b2therad; 04-27-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Very true.

I thought about it today and I guess my main question is are the tunes I would get for my truck going to benefit me and how. And are the tunes independent of the programmmer used on the truck. I plan to buy the programmer used to save some cash.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Just my thoughts, I figured, Hell, im dropping $400, i want something that I am going to see on a daily basis, instead of pluggin it in once every blue moon.

I have a gryphon cs, and I am waiting on my tunes currently. Once I get them in, ill let you know what I think. With the gryphon, you can monitor 4 variables at once, and chose from something like 16 different ones

And no, the tunes are programmer specific. Most times, you will have to download them and load them on the programmer from your computer.

Last edited by FlashmasterK; 04-27-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by FlashmasterK
Just my thoughts, I figured, Hell, im dropping $400, i want something that I am going to see on a daily basis, instead of pluggin it in once every blue moon.

I have a gryphon cs, and I am waiting on my tunes currently. Once I get them in, ill let you know what I think. With the gryphon, you can monitor 4 variables at once, and chose from something like 16 different ones

And no, the tunes are programmer specific. Most times, you will have to download them and load them on the programmer from your computer.
Is your 4.2 a stick or auto.

And let me clarify. I understand that the specific tune
would be written for a certain programmer but what I meant to say was the type of tune as in gains etc. Ie if I got the xcal could a better tune be written or likewise with the gryphon etc or are the very compareable. And I know the gains are very personal and opinonated and based on the tuner that writes them.

Look forward to hear your opinions on the results. What's the expected delivery date for them? Also might check it out in person in bout a month

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
As I understand it, the person writing the tune has more to do with it than what programmer is used. So a xcal with tunes by VMP or troyer is going to do better than an xcal from some hack.

I am on week 3 and am hoping to get the tunes by the end of the month. I believe part of the reason for the delay is that this is the first Gryphon CS that they have programmed for the 4.2L. They have done the regular Gryphon before, but the software is a little different for the CS

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Jake.

Wellsir - if we can begin at the PCM, the actual calibration file (the tune file) that gets flashed to the PCM needs to be, and will be, the same format.

However whatever toolset is used to construct those tunes - be it SCT Advantage, PHP's Gryphon (do not know the name of Bill's development platform), Diablo's, etc, are all different, but all rely on databases and base calibrations supplied for each - and all of those are initially based upon info from Ford.

So - regardless of development platform/toolset, your results will be the same if the same tuner feller does them ( e.g: Bill can do this via SCT's tools for an SCT flash device, or The Gryphon platform) - and I would indeed expect the near-identical results either way.

Further - any top-flite tuner fellers - the ones favoured on this board at least, will produce similar stellar results - but in their own unique manner - they are not the same person after all. But - be confident in any of these guys. Here is where talent, experience, passion and pure genius comes into play. And they have those attributes - in spades.

The devices differ physically of course, and each offers specific end-user adjustment capability, and/or displays, and methods, which may well not be the same, and other platform-specific functionality - e.g datalogging capabilities - that will differ in capability. SCT is generally considered to have the best, most flexible and widely supported datalogging suite for end-user use. But - I do admit I'm a trifle biased, lol. Go ask tarajerame, Windsor, Mr.Kaboom, etc for corroboration on this topic.

Up to you to decide what yer current/future needs are. And how you want the truck to behave. Custom means ... custom ,lol. For certain, if you seek gains you will need to opt for premium octane tunes.

I hope this helped a bit. Forgive this old ignant redneck codger fer ramblin'

Cheers

MGD v5.0

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
^ Uh oh.... hes here

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by b2therad
^ Uh oh.... hes here

Now what?

Can Sir Shotgunz be far behind, or that other inveterate Poseur?

MGD v5.0

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Now what?

MGD v5.0

I guess anything is possible now

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Now what?

MGD v5.0
Who is the other person you speak of? Not me for sure, I'm not a vet or an invet either one.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Who is the other person you speak of? Not me for sure, I'm not a vet or an invet either one.
So it is true?! You spoke up first

Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay

No - yer just another ramblin' codger, like me

Bring 'em on - I's ready for 'em!

MGD v5.0

Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No - yer just another ramblin' codger, like me

Bring 'em on - I's ready for 'em!

MGD v5.0
Ya - but you're also a computer geeenus!

MGDfan busy anserin' tuner kestions:

MGDfan Junior V1.0

Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Ya - but you're also a computer geeenus!

MGDfan busy anserin' tuner kestions:

MGDfan Junior V1.0

Back from fishin' so soon?

Didja get skunked?

Or, did ya forgit somethin'?

MGD v5.0

Quick Reply: Best suited for my application