GRyphon function

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GRyphon function

Can someone give me a general idea of how thr gryphon works. I under stand you get three tunes, or you can buy custom ones. I wanna know how you switch from say a best mpg tune to a hp tune. Can you do that sitting a stop light? I have heard someof the features include corrected mpg, shift points adjust for bigger tires, digital readouts of temps and other info. Just wonerding how you use it, and what I can expect as afar as hp, mpg, towing, drivetrain wear etc. with a stock motor and a simple glasspack dual ehhaust?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gryphon is an awesome programmer. Most programmers you plug in, change the tune and unplug. So the only way to change to tune is to plug it back in and change it (not real safe at a stoplight), However the gryphon has the OPTION of being left plugged in and works as a gauge to show you things such as cylinder head heat, actual water temp, etc, AND you can change the settings on the fly. Yes you can correct the tire sizes if you have bigger or smaller diameter tires on your truck. The gryphon comes with three different power settings. The Level 1 is just a shift improvement (trans setting) and Level 2 is a Tow setting (more low end torque) and Level 3 is a performance mode thus giving you more performance overall. This is just what I know from much research and actually speaking with PHP as I will be ordering mine on Monday!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
But, for both of you - you can't change the tunes at a stop light (unless you want to make everyone behind you REALLY mad)!

To change a tune, you have to turn the engine off, then turn the key ON without starting to do the change. Depending on what you do with "Custom Options" the process of entering the tune can take anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. Then, you turn the key OFF, then back ON and sit while the tune is compiled and written to your PCM. That process can take upwards of a couple of minutes too, if you've messed with a number of Custom Options.

Once that finishes though, you're good to go! Just don't do it at a stoplight!

The tunes onefitty talked about are the canned tunes that come with the Edge/Gryphon. All three of these can be replaced with custom tunes on the Gryphon, and, since the Level 1 tune doesn't really do much, that's the first tune I'd replace.

- Jack

Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
yep, all above is spot on...

I use level 2, awesome improvement... shifts so much better, and when you go to pass some one it is instant speed.... i went to mess with my friend driving next to me, so i blipped the gas a bit to try to make him think i was going to get infront of him... the truck took off! i have to really baby the gas now since this truck has so much power and get up and go... if i am stopped and floor it the wheels will just spin till i let up to go.... gotta be careful there...

i am running 87 on L2... would 89 be more beneficial? any custom tuning i need to do with timing or something?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
so wich one is better? Edge or Gryphon

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
the gyrphon is an improved edge, from what i have read.

I like the idea of having more power on the road, downshifting. When I want ot pass or floor it, I want to catch 2nd gear and go. Sometimes my truck will not downshift like i want. The tow mode would be nice, for hauling the atv's. Is there a mpg tune, that really adds mpg? Or does the tune help the engine run more efficiently to get better mpg. I know my foot has the biggest part of good mpg!

Thanks!

I will be ordering one soon, just can't finalize anything right now!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
my MPG went down from 15 to 13....

driving the same.... although i mite use more gas when down shifting to pass some one cause it is too much fun...

I would not buy it with a MPG increase as a main reason to buy it... unless u get a MPG tune from PHP.. but performance will suffer..

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Well the way I understand it you can get both...

I would drive in MPG mode most of the time, and switch over to HP mode to play or show some of my friends chevies what a real truck is like. I would like a general tune to correct the speedo, change the shift points, allow maximumj downshift when trying to pass.

How would a tow tune work?

Other than shift points, what will the gryphon change? Maximize engine operating?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Gryphon is essentially same product as the Edge Evolution. Edge Evolution is geared more towards a mostly stock combination (myself) while the Gryphon is recased to black and the firmware is updated to accept custom maps and tunes for an application with modifications such as cold air induction, full or cat back exhaust, and higher octane fuel. The Gryphon lets you realize the full potential of your upgrades with a custom map for YOUR truck. The Edge Evolution is a very good but very broad program and may leave a little power and performance still on the table. Hope that makes sense...

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
But, for both of you - you can't change the tunes at a stop light (unless you want to make everyone behind you REALLY mad)!

To change a tune, you have to turn the engine off, then turn the key ON without starting to do the change. Depending on what you do with "Custom Options" the process of entering the tune can take anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. Then, you turn the key OFF, then back ON and sit while the tune is compiled and written to your PCM. That process can take upwards of a couple of minutes too, if you've messed with a number of Custom Options.

Once that finishes though, you're good to go! Just don't do it at a stoplight!

The tunes onefitty talked about are the canned tunes that come with the Edge/Gryphon. All three of these can be replaced with custom tunes on the Gryphon, and, since the Level 1 tune doesn't really do much, that's the first tune I'd replace.

- Jack
Thank you for correcting me! haha, I guess I didn't know the whole process of switching tunes. Now I know. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by lObOdiablO
so wich one is better? Edge or Gryphon
The Gryphon is an Edge on steroids, if your truck is stock and you don't have the need for custom tuning, then perhaps the Edge is all you need.

Originally Posted by jaws12
Well the way I understand it you can get both...

I would drive in MPG mode most of the time, and switch over to HP mode to play or show some of my friends chevies what a real truck is like. I would like a general tune to correct the speedo, change the shift points, allow maximumj downshift when trying to pass.

How would a tow tune work?

Other than shift points, what will the gryphon change? Maximize engine operating?
It will change shift points, as well as fuel tables and spark in order to maximize the torque at lower RPM's for towing purposes.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Can you get a tune that gets decent gas mileage IF you CAN stay outta of it, but the power/performance is there if you need it? If so, that and a tow tune would be awesome. Both custom, Of course!

I would love to be able to cruise down the road and get 15-16 mpg, and when a ****y 16 year old in a rice rocket wants to show off for his pimple faced GF, I can give it gas and LET HER EAT!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 AM
I have the 4.6 and cruising on the highway it usually is between 16-22 mpg and my average has gone up....well when I can stay out of it haha That is all on level 2

Oh and I have the canned tunes that come on the Gryphon, can't wait for the custom ones to be done

Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by shorse
yep, all above is spot on...

I use level 2, awesome improvement... shifts so much better, and when you go to pass some one it is instant speed.... i went to mess with my friend driving next to me, so i blipped the gas a bit to try to make him think i was going to get infront of him... the truck took off! i have to really baby the gas now since this truck has so much power and get up and go... if i am stopped and floor it the wheels will just spin till i let up to go.... gotta be careful there...

i am running 87 on L2... would 89 be more beneficial? any custom tuning i need to do with timing or something?
Check the manual. If you run anything over 87 on level 2, you need to bump the timing .5 per each octane. So, to run 89, you would bump the timing plus 1.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't really get a manual with the information that Bluejay talks about with my Gryphon. My manual tells you how to connect it and load programs but I have not seen anything in it that tells you about the timing and octane level or how to measure for tires or several other things that I have seen talked about here. Am I missing a manual? Do the Gryphon's come with two manuals?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
I didn't really get a manual with the information that Bluejay talks about with my Gryphon. My manual tells you how to connect it and load programs but I have not seen anything in it that tells you about the timing and octane level or how to measure for tires or several other things that I have seen talked about here. Am I missing a manual? Do the Gryphon's come with two manuals?
Download and print this off, or just read it:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-277.pdf

Quick Reply: GRyphon function