2004 - 2008 F-150

NYS Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYS Emissions

Has anyone else had a problem getting their truck inspected due to a catylitic convertor issue? I have an '05 F150 with the 5.4. My check engine light is on and the codes say it's a Bad Catylitic convertor on the passengers side. Ford wants $2000 for this pipe. Magna Flow wants $300 .. easy choice right? NO.. I called Jegs and they wont sell it to me due to NY emission standards.. (same as Calif. now I'm told) Ford Dealer is telling me if I change one side I should change the other..FOR ANOTHER 2 GRAND!!!
What can I do?:

Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Move! Seriously, GTF out of that **** state!

No emissions testing here in Florida. 5 million exNew yorkers can't be wrong!

Emissions and "safety testing" are nothing but a scam to force people to buy new vehicles and/or a lot of expensive repairs. Florida did in for a few years in the early 1970s and they found that it made NO difference in the numbers of accidents or anything else yet it was costing Florida citizens 100s of millions of dollars per year so they dropped it despite the HOWLING of the car dealers and repair shops.

Your situation is exactly the kind of thing that forces people to buy new vehicles even when they can't afford them and that's exactly what the car companies and dealerships (and state revenue agents) want and that's why many states have these tests!

Last edited by joe51; 03-05-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM
I am in a similar boat here in CA...the only aftermarket Catalytic converter approved in CA is for the 4.6l only (Miller, and Magnaflow)...

I did do the Gotts O2 mod about 3k miles ago...I haven't gotten a code since (I was getting a P0430 (drivers side cat) I have 173K on my truck...started getting the code after 100k miles...I was getting both an actual code and a pending at the same time...

FWIW, my truck did pass CA Enhanced smog between codes in 2013...I am due for another in August...

My passenger side was changed under warranty at 81k due to what I believe was ultimately a faulty injector frying the passenger side head... I believe there was about $ 8500 worth of work done under the extended warranty ($$$ well spent!)

You could try the Gotts mod...if they don't do a visual...I am not real sure what they are doing here in CA anymore...my local Oil Change place does my smog...they recently started doing OBDII smog checks...used to be that the vehicle was dyno'd...

Good Luck!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to another inspection station. A smaller shop or such. Guarantee you they tell you all you need are maybe brake pads or wipers, something small like that. There is no way a 2005 should fail an emissions check unless it once ran rich and converter damage has truly occurred.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Why is this on a 2015 forum?

Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Looks like it's been moved to where it belongs. That's what the REPORT POST button is for, I think I reported it yesterday. We shouldn't crap up threads with administrivia.

Quick Reply: NYS Emissions