2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the end, they are both good engines. You will have bickering back and forth for either engine, but whichever one you pick I'm sure will server you well for years to come.

Bottom line, drive them both (extended drives, not just 2 miles in town) and buy whichever one you like the most. You can't really go wrong with either.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rgonyer
...The 5.0 is used in fleet vehicles, taxis, police cars, etc all around the world. There are bazillions of them out there. Of course failures will happen in every motor (or anything) when produced in volume.
Say what?!? Just what taxis are you riding in that use a 5.0 Coyote engine? To date it has only been used in the 2010+ Mustang and the 2011 F-150. Globally, excluding Canada and Mexico, it has only been used in the 2015 Mustang.

There have been a few issues here and there with both engines but that wouldn't stop me from owning either one. Personally, I prefer the EB in the F-150. Before I bought I drove 2 5.0L trucks and 2 EB trucks. The EB has a lot more grunt. In my case, I have gotten a few Mmmm Pee Gees better with the EB than I have gotten with any of the 3 5.4L F-150s I've owned. Of course that only happens if you keep your foot out of it.

Go drive both and see what you like and what you can get the best deal on.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Say what?!? Just what taxis are you riding in that use a 5.0 Coyote engine? To date it has only been used in the 2010+ Mustang and the 2011 F-150. Globally, excluding Canada and Mexico, it has only been used in the 2015 Mustang.

There have been a few issues here and there with both engines but that wouldn't stop me from owning either one. Personally, I prefer the EB in the F-150. Before I bought I drove 2 5.0L trucks and 2 EB trucks. The EB has a lot more grunt. In my case, I have gotten a few Mmmm Pee Gees better with the EB than I have gotten with any of the 3 5.4L F-150s I've owned. Of course that only happens if you keep your foot out of it.

Go drive both and see what you like and what you can get the best deal on.
Every cop car we have is an EB - either a Taurus or an Explorer. And every taxi is a 4.6 Crown Vic.

Bazillions of 5.0's - yep - the iron block, pushrod mustangfivelitre variety that the Gino's wif their mullets still race around ... and all the farmboys wif pre-1997 Fiddy's run out back. And - one hirsute ol' inveterate Ukie in a f-body'd 'vert, who shall remain nameless .

Just get the 3.5 N/A and avoid the whole thang - only engine ol' Labnerd endorses

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-09-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
May as well admit it - yer mind was already made up before you posted the initial question. And you are just wanting to hear only what you want to hear - any dissent isn't going to be tolerated - plain as the nose on ye cabbage.
No it wasn't, but I'm sure in your mind it was. All you have done so far is point out specific threads with failures that back your opinion. There are guaranteed failures of both engines in production numbers this large so I'm sure I could dig up threads of the ecoboost failing as well. In fact, I had one! (2.0 EB in my Focus).

You have provided exactly 0 information (I can dig up threads on specific failures) pertinent to my original post, and all other posters thus far have actually provided thoughtful input.

Sounds like a nice recipe fer disaster.... Good luck with that.

MGD out.
And I thought you were out, but I see you posted more uselessness.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 PM
HEY!!! Quit arguing with MGD and answer my question. What taxi uses the 5.0L Coyote?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEY!!! Quit arguing with MGD and answer my question. What taxi uses the 5.0L Coyote?
Transit Connect?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:52 PM
A fast taxi with a killer exhaust?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Every cop car we have is an EB - either a Taurus or an Explorer. And every taxi is a 4.6 Crown Vic.

Bazillions of 5.0's - yep - the iron block, pushrod mustangfivelitre variety that the Gino's wif their mullets still race around ... and all the farmboys wif pre-1997 Fiddy's run out back. And - one hirsute ol' inveterate Ukie in a f-body'd 'vert, who shall remain nameless .

Just get the 3.5 N/A and avoid the whole thang - only engine ol' Labnerd endorses

MGD
Every time I read one of your posts I do so with the visual of Festus from Gunsmoke in my minds eye, and I read it with his voice in my ear.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Like 5.0 Coyotes never fail?

Your mind is made up. Just get the 5.0 and be done with it.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blue150
Every time I read one of your posts I do so with the visual of Festus from Gunsmoke in my minds eye, and I read it with his voice in my ear.
LMFAO !!!

Ye, me good sir - Git it!

Yessiree, consarn it.... me hat's off t' ye...

Thankee fer makin' me day, son...

MGD

Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

- Not willing to invest any time to do the research, but perfectly willing to be spoon-fed.
- Those links were objective reports - asking folks who own 5.0's for truly objective opinions? lol
- In a hurry to buy. (Millennial?)
- Comparing apples to oranges (GT to F150). Yep - that's a meaningful data point, aight. Oye.

May as well admit it - yer mind was already made up before you posted the initial question. And you are just wanting to hear only what you want to hear - any dissent isn't going to be tolerated - plain as the nose on ye cabbage.

Sounds like a nice recipe fer disaster.... Good luck with that.

MGD out.

No it wasn't, but I'm sure in your mind it was. All you have done so far is point out specific threads with failures that back your opinion. There are guaranteed failures of both engines in production numbers this large so I'm sure I could dig up threads of the ecoboost failing as well. In fact, I had one! (2.0 EB in my Focus).

You have provided exactly 0 information (I can dig up threads on specific failures) pertinent to my original post, and all other posters thus far have actually provided thoughtful input.

And I thought you were out, but I see you posted more uselessness.
Well, you either really are a Millennial or yer just crippled too high fer crutches. Maybe both.

No wonder this "Common Core Math" horse-chit had to be implemented. Yunguns these days "reason" as if they's a-livin' in Bizarro world er sumptin'. Nuffin's c'reckt, but then again...hell...EVERTHANG is c'reckt.

Lawd above...hep us!

^^ Does the highlighted text make sense to you? If so, ye dun gawn'n proved me afer-menshuned point.

By the way, if'n yer own two minute investimigachun yielded aynsurs ye's after, why not spare the rest of us the grief of a-havin' to cipher through ye hawgwarsh?

Anyway, I reckon I's jist an ol' softy at heart, so I'll hep ye out a might. Here's the $.02 from a feller whut's owned both: Without a doubt, the EcoBoost is the clear-cut winner. You name an advantage, it has it as fer as I kin tell. Time will tell on the longevity thing, but I expect no major issues out of my 2014.

PS - The primary prevailing "issue" with the EcoBoost is possible stalling/misfires due to condensate getting past the CAC in the older (2011-2012) trucks....blah, blah, blah...you know what? Never mind. You've already made up your mind so I won't waste anymore of my time here.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Y'all call thet arguin? Sound mer like a-whinin' desperation - shore sucks when ye True Agenda gits exposed like ye britches fell down around ye knees in public, an' ye lace panties be on display

MGD (was out, now back in - deal wif it, hayseed)

Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB

Well, you either really are a Millennial or yer just crippled too high fer crutches. Maybe both.

No wonder this "Common Core Math" horse-chit had to be implemented. Yunguns these days "reason" as if they's a-livin' in Bizarro world er sumptin'. Nuffin's c'reckt, but then again...hell...EVERTHANG is c'reckt.

Lawd above...hep us!

^^ Does the highlighted text make sense to you? If so, ye dun gawn'n proved me afer-menshuned point.

By the way, if'n yer own two minute investimigachun yielded aynsurs ye's after, why not spare the rest of us the grief of a-havin' to cipher through ye hawgwarsh?

Anyway, I reckon I's jist an ol' softy at heart, so I'll hep ye out a might. Here's the $.02 from a feller whut's owned both: Without a doubt, the EcoBoost is the clear-cut winner. You name an advantage, it has it as fer as I kin tell. Time will tell on the longevity thing, but I expect no major issues out of my 2014.

PS - The primary prevailing "issue" with the EcoBoost is possible stalling/misfires due to condensate getting past the CAC in the older (2011-2012) trucks....blah, blah, blah...you know what? Never mind. You've already made up your mind so I won't waste anymore of my time here.
Fek me Ded!!!

Howdy thar, Big D!

Fellers - the Big Gun is 'ere. Hide ye wimmin! OP - best ye go find thet rock ye came out'unner frum. Pre-tend ye's all invis'ble-like.

PS - Dang! Didje reckon we's dun 'jacked this hyur thread? Awww.... booHoo!

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Y'all call thet arguin? Sound mer like a-whinin' desperation - shore sucks when ye True Agenda gits exposed like ye britches fell down around ye knees in public, an' ye lace panties be on display

MGD (was out, now back in - deal wif it, hayseed)
True, arguing isn't the best description. However, this "family friendly" institution doesn't allow the use of any of the more exact terms that I normally would use in a situation such as this. This left me little choice since my other option was to call it debating. That infers a higher level of intellect which clearly isn't happening here.

I'm still waiting on the list of Coyote equipped taxis and service vehicles...

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost