2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Well, a friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my 2007 FX4, so we're looking to (quickly) purchase a new truck. We plan to keep this truck for 10+ years and 150k+ miles.

It's typically used for typical yard work around the house, home improvement projects, an occasional road trip, etc, and in the winter it's my wifes daily driver. (The 2011 Mustang GT gets put away for the winter). Trailer towing will be next to never.

My logical side says go with the 5.0 as there's less to fail in the long term, but the extra mileage of the ecoboost would be nice. Advice?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy, you've gone and opened a HUGE can of worms here!

Why not the 2.7L EB? If your trailer towing will be next to never, the 2.7L should be a great engine for the needs you mentioned.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Oh boy, you've gone and opened a HUGE can of worms here!

Why not the 2.7L EB? If your trailer towing will be next to never, the 2.7L should be a great engine for the needs you mentioned.
I figured as much I know turbos have been around for a loooooooong time, and they are very reliable - but to me it's just one more part that can fail.

I've ruled out the 2.7L EB as it's a pretty new motor, and other reasons which may be illogical. In addition, most of the super cab 4x4's on the lot are either the 5.0 or 3.5, so I don't really have an option. We need to buy in the next week or two and ordering isn't an option.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rgonyer
...My logical side says go with the 5.0 as there's less to fail in the long term, ... Advice?

Thanks
^^^ LMFAO !!!

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post5116292

Seriously - I agree wif ol' Fordmantpw .... don't let ye wifey drive a dawg

Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM
One example does not make a trend. To take it that way would be ridiculous. My 2.0 Ecoboost in my Focus ST had to have the head replaced at 13k miles due to a porous casting allowing coolant to weep into the cylinders. Rare cases happen. I haven't heard of another one and that was a year and a half ago.

The 5.0 is used in fleet vehicles, taxis, police cars, etc all around the world. There are bazillions of them out there. Of course failures will happen in every motor (or anything) when produced in volume.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM
One example does not make a trend. To take it that way would be ridiculous. My 2.0 Ecoboost in my Focus ST had to have the head replaced at 13k miles due to a porous casting allowing coolant to weep into the cylinders. Rare cases happen. I haven't heard of another one and that was a year and a half ago.

The 5.0 is used in fleet vehicles, taxis, police cars, etc all around the world. There are bazillions of them out there. Of course failures will happen in every motor (or anything) when produced in volume.
You didn't read through all of the links in that thread I posted, did you - (and hundreds more where that came from) - looks like a trend to me. Labnerd even goes so far as to suggest the 5.0 is fundamentally flawed in the bottom end / oiling department. And he ought to know. You can search for that gem at yer leisure.

Can of worms indeed, lol.

At least try both the EB and the 5.sl0h before you commit.

MGD

Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
You didn't read through all of the links in that thread I posted, did you - (and hundreds more where that came from) - looks like a trend to me. Labnerd even goes so far as to suggest the 5.0 is fundamentally flawed in the bottom end / oiling department. And he ought to know. You can search for that gem at yer leisure.

Can of worms indeed, lol.

At least try both the EB and the 5.sl0h before you commit.

MGD
Having the 2011 5.0 in our Mustang definitely argues with the 5.sl0h comment, it's one fast beast. It appears you are biased (which is ok). I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the 3.5 failing as well. Unfortunately no, I don't have time to read tons of threads on either engine, but I will definitely drive both before choosing.

Looking for some more OBjective and factual input if anyone has some! Thank you!

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can o' worms... yep.

I can only attest to what I own -- a 3.5 EB. She has approximately 40k miles on it at this point and they've been trouble-free, thus far.

I have a fairly equal mix of highway and city over the time on the odo and it's been fine but, it's rare (if ever) I see the advertised MPG. Honestly, I had better MPG on my 2005 that had the 5.4 in it.

My point -- MPG may not be the only factor - honestly, between the two motors, I think it's almost a 'push' on this particular parameter.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Can o' worms... yep.

My point -- MPG may not be the only factor - honestly, between the two motors, I think it's almost a 'push' on this particular parameter.
Yeah, I'm starting to understand that! Thanks for the input.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM
I like the 3.5 EB but am disappointed that Ford went with a 2 bar map sensor and a smaller fuel pump . The lure of the EB 3.5 is that I can boost it after my warranty runs out now I am not sure.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
On my second 5.0, first one a 2011 with 85,000 miles and I'm at 8,000 on my 2014. If I were buying another truck, it would be another 5.0. I get as good or better mpg than most EB owners I know. The only thing I have done is oil changed and fuel. I get 21 mpg on the highway running 70 mph. If I run faster, or there is a head wind, it will drop to 19.5 of so. My mpg since purchase average is 18.9 with about 20% city miles. Mileage is all hand calculated. I don't drive hard, but neither do I baby it. I like to go.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Having the 2011 5.0 in our Mustang definitely argues with the 5.sl0h comment, it's one fast beast. It appears you are biased (which is ok). I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the 3.5 failing as well. Unfortunately no, I don't have time to read tons of threads on either engine, but I will definitely drive both before choosing.

Looking for some more OBjective and factual input if anyone has some! Thank you!
One only needs to visit the NHTSA website and read the complaints and TSB's to see the EB's have their own issues. Oddly enough, there are no complaints about the 5.0. Atleast not when I looked. Not to say there shouldn't be but I am in the same boat as Bluejay. Albeit my 2014 5.0 only have 500 miles one it, I love it.

Last edited by Blue150; 02-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have drove 5.0's several times on test drives and its no comparision between it and the Eb. The Eb just seems like it does everything better, 5.0 likes to Rev and the EB has all of its available torque down low which really helps when towing or even racing

I have almost 50k miles on mine, been tuned for the last 40k and no problems what so ever engine wise. Just normal 5k oil changes.

Drive both and then decide but i betcha you will go with the EB

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 02-09-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue150
One only needs to visit the NHTSA website and read the complaints and TSB's to see the EB's have their own issues. Oddly enough, there are no complaints about the 5.0. Not to say there shouldn't be but I am in the same boat as Bluejay. Albeit my 2014 5.0 only have 500 miles one it, I love it.
There is plenty of complaints on the 5.0 on the ol inner web, from lost compression on cylinders, to ticking, to burning oil etc etc.. As someone stated before both engines have had some sort of trouble.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM

- Not willing to invest any time to do the research, but perfectly willing to be spoon-fed.
- Those links were objective reports - asking folks who own 5.0's for truly objective opinions? lol
- In a hurry to buy. (Millennial?)
- Comparing apples to oranges (GT to F150). Yep - that's a meaningful data point, aight. Oye.

May as well admit it - yer mind was already made up before you posted the initial question. And you are just wanting to hear only what you want to hear - any dissent isn't going to be tolerated - plain as the nose on ye cabbage.

Sounds like a nice recipe fer disaster.... Good luck with that.

MGD out.

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost