2015 - 2020 F-150

Ford Extended warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Extended warranty???

I have a 2015 v8 xlt purchased new and coming up on 25,000 miles. I traded a 2003 silverado z71that was a nightmare of issues. I might have payed for the vehicle twice. I've never purchased extended warranties on anything and know that often experts consider them a waste of money.

A fairly high level Ford warranty costs about $2000 with $200 deductable for years 3-8 and up to 150,000 miles. I wish I had a crystal ball to tell what I could expect over time. I made the switch to Ford for the first time in my life as the result of the silverado experience.

On my chevy two front wheel bearings alone totaled about $800, head gasket $1600, Brake caliper $$, backing plates, lines (3 times!) Spring mounts, etc... etc.... I had to get rid of it at 84,000 miles. I was hoping for 150k. My tahoe had minimal repairs. Same roads, same driver, same garage.

So....worth it? Even if I break even over the next 8 years, that's okay. Here's the plan I'm looking at. I usually try to keep a vehicle until it becomes impractical to keep it. Avg. about 12 years.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/extracare.php#Engine

Waddya think? Am I being paranoid?

Last edited by Daniel Gagner; 01-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I've never bought an extended warranty and have never regretted it. I'm a decent shadetree mechanic. But, with the increasing complexity of new vehicles and the cost of repair I might consider it at this point in my life, a retired old fart. I'm still doing most if not all my repairs but it ain't as much fun as it used to be.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
You need to know EXACTLY what the warranty doesn't cover and go from there.
If someone owns an ecoboost then an extended warranty is almost essential.

Last edited by Paul888; 01-09-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
The ONLY reason to buy an extended warranty is if you can't afford to make the repairs, or if you anticipate particular reliability issues that will be covered.

They sell these warranties because they make money doing it. The odds are with you to take the money and put it in the bank instead.

There are exceptions. With my 2001, I could see that my chassis was basically a Crown Vic in a pickup truck dress. Wore out my brakes within 15,000 miles and of course the bumper to bumper does not cover that. Bought AutoZone's best lifetime replacement pads and paid about double for them. Have changed my pads about 10 times since on that initial investment. So, unless you know of an issue and know the warranty will cover it, save you money.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Paul888
You need to know EXACTLY what the warranty doesn't cover and go from there.
If someone owns an ecoboost then an extended warranty is almost essential.
Please don't take this question as argument.

Does the extended warranty for the ECO go for a higher price than the 5.0, or is it solely a percentage of vehicle price? The odds are pretty much always in favor of being money ahead by not buying the warranty, however, if they don't upcharge for the ECO that might be an exception.

Any insiders have data on Ford extended warranty repairs for the ECO?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by stuck screw
Please don't take this question as argument.

Does the extended warranty for the ECO go for a higher price than the 5.0, or is it solely a percentage of vehicle price? The odds are pretty much always in favor of being money ahead by not buying the warranty, however, if they don't upcharge for the ECO that might be an exception.

Any insiders have data on Ford extended warranty repairs for the ECO?

I imagine if you insure a Platinum model with an ecoboost then the price would be higher than a standard contractor model XL regular cab.
I have never had a mechanical failure on any vehicle that I bought new but with the cost of anything A/C or heater related, engines, transmissions.....ect of todays vehicles it would be the safe play.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by stuck screw

There are exceptions. With my 2001, I could see that my chassis was basically a Crown Vic in a pickup truck dress. Wore out my brakes within 15,000 miles and of course the bumper to bumper does not cover that. Bought AutoZone's best lifetime replacement pads and paid about double for them. Have changed my pads about 10 times since on that initial investment. So, unless you know of an issue and know the warranty will cover it, save you money.
I usually get about 80k miles out of my brakes on the 2000 F150 scab 4x4 I used to own and the 2002 that I currently own. The brakes are undersize for the truck but I suppose I'm easy on the brakes and the miles incuded a lot of road miles.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:50 PM
The plan link above that I posted is for any 2015 f510 and raptor.

Like I said earlier.. I had a 2003 silverado Z71. Probably put $12k into it over a 10 yr period. I'm a retired guy, very easy on cars. Plywood at home depot once and awhile. Groceries. etc. Soft on brakes. "old man driving" type stuff. Stored in a garage, car washed regularly. mixed driving. Nothing out of the ordinary. Brakes on the thing about 5 times. Rotors pitted. about $150/wheel each time. They sold me a special, very large mud flap to protect them. It came out as a way to help alleviate the issue with the pitted rotors design flaw. Cost $112. Didn't help. Brake lines. Rusted frame, Steering column defect. Wheel bearings. and don't get me going regarding abs sensors and hubs. It was a neverending nightmare. Chevy garage told me I could expect to put in $1200-$1500/hr on the average. The vehicle only made it to 84,000 miles then I got rid of it. for my Ford.

For me the $2,000 cost of the warranty used to be one trip to the repair shop sometimes.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daniel Gagner
The plan link above that I posted is for any 2015 f510 and raptor.

Like I said earlier.. I had a 2003 silverado Z71. Probably put $12k into it over a 10 yr period. I'm a retired guy, very easy on cars. Plywood at home depot once and awhile. Groceries. etc. Soft on brakes. "old man driving" type stuff. Stored in a garage, car washed regularly. mixed driving. Nothing out of the ordinary. Brakes on the thing about 5 times. Rotors pitted. about $150/wheel each time. They sold me a special, very large mud flap to protect them. It came out as a way to help alleviate the issue with the pitted rotors design flaw. Cost $112. Didn't help. Brake lines. Rusted frame, Steering column defect. Wheel bearings. and don't get me going regarding abs sensors and hubs. It was a neverending nightmare. Chevy garage told me I could expect to put in $1200-$1500/hr on the average. The vehicle only made it to 84,000 miles then I got rid of it. for my Ford.

For me the $2,000 cost of the warranty used to be one trip to the repair shop sometimes.
Personally I would go with the ESP premiumcare warranty. Most every high dollar component is covered and there is a rental benefit if they need your truck more than a day.
I've had the basic on my '08 that I never used but have more than made up for what I paid on an '06 explorer (eats bearings) and '03 Escape (everything leaks).
The price I am seeing for 150k miles and a 5 year term is 2509.00 Shop around online, I have found there is not a standard price and there is room for bartering. My selling dealer matched an online price I had gotten, and there are often "discount codes" you can use on some sites.
Good luck!

Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would NOT spend the money for one. This forum and EVERY other automotive forum is FULL of complaints about dealers weaseling out of covering vehicles even when the warranty was supposed to be bumper to bumper. For example, go look at the complaints in this forum about Ford not covering back windows and back window defrosters.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:18 AM
I got an extended warranty 85K miles or 7,5 years just because of the Ecoboost but i wanted the 3,5L and so far 34000 miles and no engine troubles at all.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I got the ESP Premium Care as well. Back in 2010, I came into some money because of a wrongful death suit involving my Dad. It was enough to pay of the house, pay off credit cards, and enough left over to get a few things. BUT, it wasn't enough for me to "retire on". I ordered my truck, an '11 Lariat 6.2, in Oct. '10, took delivery in Jan. '11. When I did the deal, I knew that in a few years that the money would be gone, and I would be left with what I started with, Social Security Disability. It made sense for me to get the ESP Premium Care. I went with a 5/60,000. I ended up having to use it on several things, but thankfully nothing major. So it worked out for me. Just depends on your situation, and if you want some peace of mind. Some will did agree......

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just purchased an ESP extracare plan for my 2015 XLT. Cost me more than twice what I paid for my the one I got for my 2005.

I will say this, I usually get the extended warranty, and they ALWAYS pay for themselves. My 2005 had chronic front brake issues, driveshaft/slip yoke issues, and I lost a alternator and air conditioner compressor. Plus a bunch of other little things.