2015 - 2020 F-150

Test drove a 2016 today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoers
Would you be willing to share why you dislike start/stop so much? I'm not looking to argue - I'm curious if there's something I missed about the whole process. I know it takes a lot longer to change your oil... what else?
it just seems stupid to me to add all that extra crap that costs more and could cause problems down the road and will cause additional wear on the engine just to get a tenth or two more mpg. It would aggravate me and I don't like stuff that aggravates me. Same with the Focus transmission that disengages completely when you are stopped at a light. You can rev the engine freely while sitting in drive if you have your foot on the brake. I'm a left foot braker and it made the think there was something wrong with the transmission. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that type of transmission. If I bought a new vehicle, I would hope to be very pleased with it, not aggravated. I like Fords because they in general have given me more reliable service than others. But, I'm not stuck on any brand. I'll buy what pleases me. I have thought about replacing my truck and car with a new truck. I don't know if I would buy a Ford or RAM. I like the Hemi engine and now the RAM has that ZF 8 speed auto that BMW, Rolls Royce and many other vehicles use so it should be reliable.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair enough... and, thank you! Yes, it aggravates me as well... mostly because you cannot disable it completely. The engineers at Ford gave me the option to turn off the stupid DRL, but not the auto start/stop.

I wonder if there is any *actual* proof that the 'feature' saves anything over the years. It reminds me of when we all were forced to start using plastic bags instead of paper. The tree-huggers knew what was best for us all, and there was no opting out. Now... years later, our landfills are FULL of these bags that never decompose, and we are seeing that they presenting a far worse problem to the environment than the renewable resource (i.e. 'paper' bags) ever did! I'm still waiting for an apology from the people who pushed plastic bags on us... not that I expect they will ever own up to their mistake.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my heart set on on buying a 2015 F150 5.0 V8... but then I test drove the 3.5 Twin Turbo V6 in Sport Mode. It was incredibly fun to drive. I'm 40, so you're much wiser than I am, but I'd like to think I'll still want to go fast when I'm 72.

After I looked up the torque / horse power / towing capacity numbers, I was sold on the 3.5 V6.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/spec...160908133050:s

Old 09-08-2016, 11:50 AM
The start/stop feature doesn't have anything to do with going fast. I might would buy a 3.5 ecoboost but I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and I suspect the V8 will be more reliable in the long run. My car is a Hemi Magnum, so yes I still like power.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roadie
The start/stop feature doesn't have anything to do with going fast. I might would buy a 3.5 ecoboost but I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and I suspect the V8 will be more reliable in the long run. My car is a Hemi Magnum, so yes I still like power.
I hear ya. I'm not interested in the start/stop feature either... yet. And it looks like they are putting it on all of the turbo F150s in 2017. I had my last truck for 8 years so I was concerned reliability too. They put these turbos through a lot of torture testing, so hopefully they will hold up. Time will tell.

My 3.5 V6 EB was just so much more fun to drive than the 5.0 V8 I test drove that it was worth it to me. Test drive one and you'll feel how much more peppy it is than the V8 as soon as you pull off the lot. Put it in Sport Mode on the highway, give it some gas, and its a world of difference.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:18 PM
If I drove a 3.5L ecoboost, I might be hooked too. But, how fast does a truck need to be? That's a personal decision for each individual, I suppose? I try to stay away from car lots. It used to get me in trouble! Ha! When I thought my truck needed an AC evaporator replacment, that is what got me thinking about a new truck because it's a 7 hour or so job to replace it because the entire dash has to be removed. I didn't think I wanted to tackle it and frankly I don't trust a shop to do it either because they always leave some screws out or mess something up.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I test drove an EB when I ended up with a 5.0 in 2011. Have driven a friends 2013 several times. I bought another 5.0 in 2014. I love the sound of the little v8 and it performs very well. My gas mileage is even better than my friends. Besides, my wife told me "no way Jose" on the v6.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My god, that 5L SWB with a 10spd would be insane.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2016 today!