2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crappy Air Conditioning-Has Anyone Thought About A Class Action Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Gem
Wookie,

My A/C problem reared its ugly head when I got stuck in stop and go traffic in a construction zone. It was 90F plus and I switched on my A/C. With the A/C on, it was getting so hot in the cab that I was sufficating from the heat. I put the windows back down to survive. The A/C never did blow even cool air.

That is a real life situation that Ford has ignored and are continuing to ignore.

Take Care

Green Gem

What outside temperature, what inside temperature and what was temp at AC vent?

My readings below.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM
OK Green, I have some numbers for you.

First I'm in central Florida and it gets HOT here! Predicted high for today is 93 to 94F. LIARS! Actual temp sin the summer always run up to six degrees higher that what WS predicts or says occured. Anyway predicted 93 to 94F today and 108 heat index. Truck is a bone stock 2010 Super Cab with 5.4. I left it sitting outside om concrete in direct sunlight all day, no clouds, no shade. I went out at about 3Pm and put one thermometer inside the cab (in the shade) and another outside on the step but also in the shade. After about 10 mins I checked and outside read 105 and inside read 110. I started truck and vent temp dropped to 80 within about 10 seconds. I drove two blocks at about 30 MPH and then waited at a red light. AC vent temp dropped to about 70F before I stopped. Drove a mile and stopped at gas station for about 5 mins in shade and left engine running. Cab temp was still 105, vent temp 65 and truck outside air thermometer was reading between 95 an 97. Drove about 10 minutes in town at about 45 MPH with brief stops at stop signs/lights several times. Cab temps seemed to drop about 5-6 degrees every five minutes and vent temps seems to drop at about the same rate. When driving, vent is about 45d cooler than cab temp. Slightly less when idling but it didn't change noticeably in the brief stops that I made. When we got to destination (about 20 mins after leaving home) cab was still 90F and AC vent was about 50. Outside temp was reading 97.

Parked in slight shade and came out about an hour later. Truck cab was 100F and AC vent dropped to 70F within 10 seconds. Drove about a mile and vent temp was 60F. Cab hadn't cooled enough to measure.

One important note here: The cab temps that I gave are with thermometer pretty much hidden and not anywhere close to air blowing from vents. The readings are not air temps but temp of the body of the cab and it's interior. After running the Ac for a few minutes the air inside is much cooler than the cab temps.

OK so here's what I observed: (1) inside of cab easily reaches 110F even in the shade. The dash and other exposed parts are MUCH hotter! I didn't measure but hot enough that I couldn't touch so I'd say 150 to 160F. (2) The outside of the truck is almost as hot, 105F even on the shady side. (3) AC vent temp drops 30F below ambiant within seconds of starting the engine. Even without revving engine or driving the truck. (4) driving even a short distance will cause AC vent temp to drop about 40F. (5) Driving a mile at 45 MPH will cause AC vent tempt to drop 45F BA. The amount of temp drop then seems to hold at that point for around town (~45 MPH, brief stops every mile or two). OK here's where we get to the nitty gritty: (6) As to be expected, the cab temp takes a good while to drop! In moderate driving, it dropped at about 6 or 7dF every 10 minutes. In my drive out, it took us about 20 minutes and the cab temp dropped from 110 to about 90F. About the time that we got there, my wife even commented that she felt comfortable at least if she wasn't doing anything. I won't say that I was comfortable, the seats and steering wheel and other objects were still hot to the touch but the air temp was ok. Coming back also took about 20 minutes and the cab temp started at 100F and dropped to 80F. But here's what I noticed, the AC vent temp is always about 45F lower than the ambiant cab temperature (again note: the cab temp and not the air temp). Based on experience I can tell you that as the cab temps keeps dropping, so would the vent temps. And within another 20 minutes it would be getting chilly in the cab and my wife would start complaining!

Finally note: Just to be clear, when I say AC vent drops X degrees I mean that the air coming out of it is that many degrees cooler than the ambiant cab temperature and not that the gauge temperature is X degrees.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your 2010 have the electric fans? That will make a big difference on how well the A/C works when moving slowly.

Green, I wonder if the Canadian trucks have a different fan program than the American (especially the southern) trucks. I know they offer cold weather packages that we can't get. I would see if your dealer would change the programing for you. That would be a simple software flash if it's possible.

The other options is if a temp sensor in the system is messed up. If the dealership is only checking the line pressure they would miss something like a temp sensor or blend door on the fritz.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe51
What outside temperature, what inside temperature and what was temp at AC vent?

My readings below.
joe51,

That day, it was about 90F and the A/C was blowing really warm air. I did not know that I had an A/C issue, so I had no way of measuring the vent temperatures.

The truck was like an oven and I lowered the windows to survive. Having the windows down in that temperature was the only option. The cab was getting hotter and hotter by the second.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 PM
OK Green, I have some numbers for you.

First I'm in central Florida and it gets HOT here! Predicted high for today is 93 to 94F. LIARS! Actual temp sin the summer always run up to six degrees higher that what WS predicts or says occured. Anyway predicted 93 to 94F today and 108 heat index. Truck is a bone stock 2010 Super Cab with 5.4. I left it sitting outside om concrete in direct sunlight all day, no clouds, no shade. I went out at about 3Pm and put one thermometer inside the cab (in the shade) and another outside on the step but also in the shade. After about 10 mins I checked and outside read 105 and inside read 110. I started truck and vent temp dropped to 80 within about 10 seconds. I drove two blocks at about 30 MPH and then waited at a red light. AC vent temp dropped to about 70F before I stopped. Drove a mile and stopped at gas station for about 5 mins in shade and left engine running. Cab temp was still 105, vent temp 65 and truck outside air thermometer was reading between 95 an 97. Drove about 10 minutes in town at about 45 MPH with brief stops at stop signs/lights several times. Cab temps seemed to drop about 5-6 degrees every five minutes and vent temps seems to drop at about the same rate. When driving, vent is about 45d cooler than cab temp. Slightly less when idling but it didn't change noticeably in the brief stops that I made. When we got to destination (about 20 mins after leaving home) cab was still 90F and AC vent was about 50. Outside temp was reading 97.

Parked in slight shade and came out about an hour later. Truck cab was 100F and AC vent dropped to 70F within 10 seconds. Drove about a mile and vent temp was 60F. Cab hadn't cooled enough to measure.

One important note here: The cab temps that I gave are with thermometer pretty much hidden and not anywhere close to air blowing from vents. The readings are not air temps but temp of the body of the cab and it's interior. After running the Ac for a few minutes the air inside is much cooler than the cab temps.

OK so here's what I observed: (1) inside of cab easily reaches 110F even in the shade. The dash and other exposed parts are MUCH hotter! I didn't measure but hot enough that I couldn't touch so I'd say 150 to 160F. (2) The outside of the truck is almost as hot, 105F even on the shady side. (3) AC vent temp drops 30F below ambiant within seconds of starting the engine. Even without revving engine or driving the truck. (4) driving even a short distance will cause AC vent temp to drop about 40F. (5) Driving a mile at 45 MPH will cause AC vent tempt to drop 45F BA. The amount of temp drop then seems to hold at that point for around town (~45 MPH, brief stops every mile or two). OK here's where we get to the nitty gritty: (6) As to be expected, the cab temp takes a good while to drop! In moderate driving, it dropped at about 6 or 7dF every 10 minutes. In my drive out, it took us about 20 minutes and the cab temp dropped from 110 to about 90F. About the time that we got there, my wife even commented that she felt comfortable at least if she wasn't doing anything. I won't say that I was comfortable, the seats and steering wheel and other objects were still hot to the touch but the air temp was ok. Coming back also took about 20 minutes and the cab temp started at 100F and dropped to 80F. But here's what I noticed, the AC vent temp is always about 45F lower than the ambiant cab temperature (again note: the cab temp and not the air temp). Based on experience I can tell you that as the cab temps keeps dropping, so would the vent temps. And within another 20 minutes it would be getting chilly in the cab and my wife would start complaining!

Finally note: Just to be clear, when I say AC vent drops X degrees I mean that the air coming out of it is that many degrees cooler than the ambiant cab temperature and not that the gauge temperature is X degrees.
joe51,

Thanks for taking the time to take those readings. There are trucks in Texas that are putting out vent temperatures in the 38F range. Other trucks in hot climates can put out vent temperatures in the very low 40 degree F range. If they can do it, all of them should have that capability.

I would consider your A/C to be sub-par as well. It takes far to long to significantly cool the interior of your truck. Like me, your trips are fairly short and you get very little benefit from your so called A/C.

Ford knew that your truck would be sold in North America. As such, it should be capable of the cooling and heating needs of that environment. At 80F here, with the humidity, I would like to be able to get the interior of my truck down to 70F. I almost got it there after a 30 minute drive once this summer. That is not acceptable.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Does your 2010 have the electric fans? That will make a big difference on how well the A/C works when moving slowly.

Green, I wonder if the Canadian trucks have a different fan program than the American (especially the southern) trucks. I know they offer cold weather packages that we can't get. I would see if your dealer would change the programing for you. That would be a simple software flash if it's possible.

The other options is if a temp sensor in the system is messed up. If the dealership is only checking the line pressure they would miss something like a temp sensor or blend door on the fritz.
Wookie,

My truck is a 2012 and yes, it has electric fans. I don't know what, if anything, is different about the Canadian trucks. It does have a block heater. Nothing else specific to Canada shows up on the window sticker.

Note that there are US trucks experiencing the same issues that I have with my A/C. Some are in the south.

I've talked to the dealer/dealers about things like programming changes, and I get shot down instantly (not for my truck, or they won't look).

In five dealer visits, they will not do more than apply dye (refrigerant level low this spring), check pressures and refrigerant levels. I can't even get them to evacuate and recharge the system. That would at least give a good starting point/base line.

Seeing that some trucks work fine and others do not, I would suspect things like contaminants or a faulty sensor. Neither can be found if the dealers won't look for them. Ford's customer service is absolutely useless in this matter.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Green Gem,

I was just looking at the other F-150 forum and they have a long thread about AC problems. By the time that I got to about page 6 it became apparent that Ford is deliberately UNDERFILLING them at the factory! http://www.f150forum.com/f38/anyone-...105604/index6/ A lot of people on that forum checked their pressure and found that it was only about 25 PSI when it should have been about 45PSI!! Yeah, so I guess the stealerships are telling the (half) truth when they say that "it's normal"! If you haven't checked the pressure in your system then you need to do that first thing. Anything else is just a guessing game! If you measure it and the pressure is too low then you've got ammo to fight the stealership with. Get a picture of the reading and show to the service manager and demand that they fill it to the proper pressure. If they don't, then take it to an AC shop and get it done that take stealership to small claims court to recover costs.

You should not be having problems on a 90F day IN CANADA! Texas or Florida and long, hot, sunny days with 100+ degree temps I can see but not Canada!

You're right, after reading some of the other people's numbers, my AC is also probably low but it's working for me, for now. OTOH if I drove non-stop at highway speeds for 1/2 hour or more, it might be fine. But I think 38F is TOO cold in a place like Florida. We have too much humidity and I'm afraid that the evaporator could freeze up.

BTW for anyone that's reading this. DO NOT over fill your AC system!! Many modern AC compressors are made very thin and light and too much pressure will warp them and cause friction that can wear them out quickly. Ask me how I know! Two words; BMW $2500. KA-CHING!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Green Gem,

I was just looking at the other F-150 forum and they have a long thread about AC problems. By the time that I got to about page 6 it became apparent that Ford is deliberately UNDERFILLING them at the factory! http://www.f150forum.com/f38/anyone-...105604/index6/ A lot of people on that forum checked their pressure and found that it was only about 25 PSI when it should have been about 45PSI!! Yeah, so I guess the stealerships are telling the (half) truth when they say that "it's normal"! If you haven't checked the pressure in your system then you need to do that first thing. Anything else is just a guessing game! If you measure it and the pressure is too low then you've got ammo to fight the stealership with. Get a picture of the reading and show to the service manager and demand that they fill it to the proper pressure. If they don't, then take it to an AC shop and get it done that take stealership to small claims court to recover costs.

You should not be having problems on a 90F day IN CANADA! Texas or Florida and long, hot, sunny days with 100+ degree temps I can see but not Canada!

You're right, after reading some of the other people's numbers, my AC is also probably low but it's working for me, for now. OTOH if I drove non-stop at highway speeds for 1/2 hour or more, it might be fine. But I think 38F is TOO cold in a place like Florida. We have too much humidity and I'm afraid that the evaporator could freeze up.

BTW for anyone that's reading this. DO NOT over fill your AC system!! Many modern AC compressors are made very thin and light and too much pressure will warp them and cause friction that can wear them out quickly. Ask me how I know! Two words; BMW $2500. KA-CHING!
joe51,

Thanks. There are a number of posts about defective A/C in these trucks.

You would be fine with 38F vent temperatures, because you can always reduce your output. I sure wish that my truck would blow that cold.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I will likely have time next week to pull my system down and see whats in it. Stay tuned for an update

Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
I will likely have time next week to pull my system down and see whats in it. Stay tuned for an update
Patman,

Thanks. I will patiently await your findings.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM
add me as GG knows. What happened to that other post here? I think they deleted the link on the other forum to here?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Gem
Wookie,

My truck is a 2012 and yes, it has electric fans...
Joe51 who posted above you has as 2010 and I can't remember if the F-150 went to the e-fans in 2009 or 2011.

I stuck a thermometer in my vents just to check. I have always been mostly satisfied with the A/C in my truck but all of these threads had me wondering. Yesterday I went for a short drive. The truck has sat all day in direct sunlight in ~93* with very high humidity, it was nasty outside! I drove about 1 mile through a neighborhood to the grocery store, maximum speed was ~35MPH. The duct temp started off close to 120* but had dropped to 80* inside of a block, the truck might have idled for 30 seconds before I started driving. Inside of 3 or 4 blocks the duct temp had dropped to 60* and it stayed there the rest of the trip. The inside of the truck was starting to cool off in 5 blocks or so. In the 1 mile drive the cab temperature had come down quite a bit. It was still warm inside but much better than 110*+ when I started driving.

The truck sat in direct sunlight for 45 minutes or so while I shopped. Once I was back in the cab temp was around 110*. I started the truck and before I had left the small parking lot the duct temp was back down to 60*.

This morning the air temp was ~82* with 85% humidity and once I hit the freeway the duct temp dropped to 50*. I also have cooled seats which might be a big reason why I don’t have much of a problem, they really so help. I’ll check again this afternoon and see what happens. The truck has sat in 90* direct sun all day. I will have a freeway drive followed by possible stop and go. I’ll report back. I will say my 2001 F-150 would throw out 35* air from the ducts. That truck would freeze anyone out!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Joe51 who posted above you has as 2010 and I can't remember if the F-150 went to the e-fans in 2009 or 2011.

I stuck a thermometer in my vents just to check. I have always been mostly satisfied with the A/C in my truck but all of these threads had me wondering. Yesterday I went for a short drive. The truck has sat all day in direct sunlight in ~93* with very high humidity, it was nasty outside! I drove about 1 mile through a neighborhood to the grocery store, maximum speed was ~35MPH. The duct temp started off close to 120* but had dropped to 80* inside of a block, the truck might have idled for 30 seconds before I started driving. Inside of 3 or 4 blocks the duct temp had dropped to 60* and it stayed there the rest of the trip. The inside of the truck was starting to cool off in 5 blocks or so. In the 1 mile drive the cab temperature had come down quite a bit. It was still warm inside but much better than 110*+ when I started driving.

The truck sat in direct sunlight for 45 minutes or so while I shopped. Once I was back in the cab temp was around 110*. I started the truck and before I had left the small parking lot the duct temp was back down to 60*.

This morning the air temp was ~82* with 85% humidity and once I hit the freeway the duct temp dropped to 50*. I also have cooled seats which might be a big reason why I don’t have much of a problem, they really so help. I’ll check again this afternoon and see what happens. The truck has sat in 90* direct sun all day. I will have a freeway drive followed by possible stop and go. I’ll report back. I will say my 2001 F-150 would throw out 35* air from the ducts. That truck would freeze anyone out!
Wookie,

Thanks for the information.

I have no idea as to how much the cooled seats help, but I wish that I had them.

My truck takes forever to cool down with your morning numbers. At 110 F, I'd be dead. Having 50 F vent temperatures is just too hot for an air conditioned truck.

Most of my runs are about 30 minutes in length and with 50 F vent temperatures, I'd never get any value from my truck's A/C. At an 80 F ambient temperature, my truck's cab keeps increasing with the A/C working as hard as it can.

I look foreword to hearing your follow-up numbers. Is there any chance that you could try the same test without using the cooled seats?

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Quick Reply: Crappy Air Conditioning-Has Anyone Thought About A Class Action Suit?