2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 5.0 Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 5.0 Fan Noise

I did a search but did not find a thread on my question.

Curious if it is normal for the electric fan to be pretty loud on these trucks? As Texas has warmed up, I've noticed my electric fan to be pretty loud. It will turn on and stay on during city driving. I know it's doing what it's supposed to, but I'm curious if it should be this loud. I've talked to other guys with the same truck and they claim to never notice their fans.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
I really notice it when I'm outside of the truck. It can be quite loud to the point I can't have a conversation near the front of the truck when it's on. I live in Texas as well and now that it's 100 everyday, I notice it running more. When I'm inside the truck I can still hear it, but it's not bothersome.

I'm not sure if that makes it normal or not, but there is comfort in numbers, right?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
I really notice it when I'm outside of the truck. It can be quite loud to the point I can't have a conversation near the front of the truck when it's on. I live in Texas as well and now that it's 100 everyday, I notice it running more. When I'm inside the truck I can still hear it, but it's not bothersome.

I'm not sure if that makes it normal or not, but there is comfort in numbers, right?
yeah, I could be imagining the noise to be louder than it really is as I bought the truck a few weeks ago and I may be a bit paranoid.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Probably not imagining. I am in NC, and them babies been really singing in the heat lately!

Completely normal, high speed on the fans is quite loud.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
well, I feel much better now. Thanks guys.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea its normal. There is a thread somewhere around here where a person was complaining about the EB fans being loud so they traded it for a V8 and apparently its the same Fan Strategy.

Edit..

Found the Thread

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...tuck-high.html

Old 07-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Yea its normal. There is a thread somewhere around here where a person was complaining about the EB fans being loud so they traded it for a V8 and apparently its the same Fan Strategy.

Edit..

Found the Thread

Now that's funny...

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Edit..

Found the Thread

Sometimes you can't fix stupid. I bet he made the salesman happy tho

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Edit..

Found the Thread

That's right... and I will still stand by the trade! The fan in the V8 is just as loud but doesn't run for HOURS at a time in the heat of Florida like the V6 did. You can comment all you want, I experienced it pulling my horse trailer with both trucks now. The Ecoboost V6 doesn't belong in the heat of the South. Period!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
Sometimes you can't fix stupid. I bet he made the salesman happy tho
It was a straight up trade, no extra cost. Dealer that I have been going to for over 20 years was more than happy to make this situation right.

Don't assume. That is what I did when I was told the V6 was good enough for my towing needs... I am very happy with the V8.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
After posting this the other day I did think about how an N/A motor would be producing less heat without the intercooler/heat exchange system. Never did circle back and post my thoughts on that.

FWIW worth I wish my 5.0 fans would run more. I'm not very impressed with the poor AC cooling (heat removal)

Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by old ford
The Ecoboost V6 doesn't belong in the heat of the South. Period!
This is total BS, go preach somewhere else.. Im in West Texas with 100 to 105 degrees and sometimes up to 110, i know what heat is.

Look at your other thread in the v6 section, there are just as many 5.0 owners that complain about the fans. I could care less if the fans are on, as long as it is cooling the truck and the Ac stays nice and cold then its all good.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is total BS, go preach somewhere else.. Im in West Texas with 100 to 105 degrees and sometimes up to 110, i know what heat is. Look at your other thread in the v6 section, there are just as many 5.0 owners that complain about the fans. I could care less if the fans are on, as long as it is cooling the truck and the Ac stays nice and cold then its all good.

The only time I notice my fans being loud is after I shut the truck off and they remain on to cool the engine for a few seconds after shutoff. And I tow a 5,000 lb. boat to the west coast pretty much every weekend in the summer. And it goes without saying that it gets seriously hot here. Both the EB and 5.0 are good motors, so in the end, who cares about fan noise? Just turn the radio up.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88

The only time I notice my fans being loud is after I shut the truck off and they remain on to cool the engine for a few seconds after shutoff. And I tow a 5,000 lb. boat to the west coast pretty much every weekend in the summer. And it goes without saying that it gets seriously hot here. Both the EB and 5.0 are good motors, so in the end, who cares about fan noise? Just turn the radio up.
Exactly

I usually leave mine running when i go into the daycare to get my son, and the fans are going pretty good, but i have never heard em on the inside of the cab, or driving with the windows down.. Plus it seems like since im tuned the fans come on quicker than stock, but once again to me its a good thing they are running. Plus it seems like my ac is colder than most of these year f150's. Maybe thats cause the comeon quicker and stay on longer..

Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 AM
KPC
I am currently looking at this issue too. I ordered a Reische 170* T-stat for my 2012 5.0 which I just had tuned by SSI. My fan settings strategy are set for that 170 T-stat by my tuner. Our 5.0 trucks have a 190* which the factory tune is set at, thats why mine come on hard and loud now, and because Shawn has my max output to 100% when the truck heats up. I think the factory tune with the stock 190* T-stat is set for 80% of the fans output, thats why I noticed how much louder mine was running after tuned. I live in the south so the 170 and tune for it should be ok in the winter and give me a better maintained cooling temp during the summer. Of course when it gets really hot 90+ and truck is run harder the fans are going to be at the new 100% to cool back down. You eco guys can go with a 170 and have your fan strategy changed for that or get a complete tune with it. Also I believe the fans are setup to come on when the a/c is running to help with that.

Last edited by KPC; 08-10-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 Fan Noise