2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found two more places in town that install remote start/alarm systems. So, this does give me a couple more options. One quoted me an Autopage C3-RS730LCD installed for $520. The other quoted me a CrimeStopper CS-2014 for $499. Personally, I can't find much difference in the Autopage, Crimestopper, or Excalibur...except that they're all 2-way with 1 LCD remote, and cheaper than the 1-way Ford model.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, after all my research and all the help from this site, I've finally decided on the Ford 6-button remote start/alarm system. Originally, I'd decided against it, because of price for what you get.

The quote I got from the dealer where I bought the truck was this:

Remote Start, Remote Keyless Entry, and Vehicle Security. Includes two 6-button keyfobs. (Requires Securilok Kit #4) Part Number 7L3Z-19G364-AA. Installed = $595
Securilok Interface Kit #4. Part Number 7L2Z-19G365-AA. $28.57
Total = $623.57 Plus Tax

So, I stopped by a different dealership and talked to the Parts Manager. I got this quote from them:

Remote Start, Remote Keyless Entry, and Vehicle Security. Includes two 6-button keyfobs. Part Number 7L3Z-19G364-AA.
Securilok Interface Kit #4. Part Number 7L2Z-19G365-AA.
Both parts together = $271
Installation = $150
Total = $421 Plus Tax

So, that's over $200 less between two dealers 20 miles apart. And, for that price, it sounds like a good deal. So, I said order it and let's do it. So, it will be in Friday, and they're going to schedule it next week. I guess it's just peace of mind...knowing they're totally responsible.

Actually, the quality of ANYTHING I get done nowadays just really freaks me out. Like nobody cares if they do a good job, or not. And, it seems like most companies, even mom and pop places, don't seem to care if the customer is satisfied with the job they do. I have no idea how some of these places even stay in business. And, with my luck, by using Ford, if something goes wrong (and it usually does in my world...Murphy's Law) they are totally responsible...and there won't be any arguing about who's fault it is.

While they're at it, they've also ordered the parts for TSB 09-14-2 to fix my sagging headliner behind the moonroof.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know to check with different dealerships if yours sounds too expensive. I found they all set their own prices for all parts and installations.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by MickeyMorris
Yes, the LED's are built in...that was a type-o on my part. It should've read LCD. The 5701 doesn't have the LCD screen like the 5901 does.

I can definitely understand you guys not being fans of Excalibur stuff. But, is the Viper 5701 or the Ford 6-button worth $200 more than the Excalibur AL-1810-EDP? If they are, fine...I'll spend the extra money. But, if they're not.......

Thanks Steve...I thought the Ford models were only 1-way. And, I really can't justify paying $623 for a 1-way remote. I'm sure they're reliable, but they ought to be half that price if they're only 1-way.

I didn't realize that. This could solve my problem. So, what you're saying is BestBuy will install anything I buy for the $200 listed on the BestBuy web site?

Sundevil, this brings up another question. I've seen the Viper 5701 online everywhere for $125-$185. Why in the world is it listed on BestBuy.com at $409.99? If that includes install, I could understand it...and probably go that route. But, the website doesn't say it includes install, so I just assumed it doesn't and added the $199.99 install price to the $409.99.

I've also found the Viper 5901 for $218 online. And, you're saying if I buy this for $218, I can bring it to BestBuy to be installed for $199.99? Making my total for a Viper 5901 installed..........$418?

Thanks for all your help guys. Like I said, this is a whole new area for me...and I don't have a clue.
Just saw your previous post, dont know if its too late or not, but to answer your questions, yes, our price on the 5701 includes basic installation. Yes, we would install the 5901 for the $200. The only thing that isnt included in that price that 9/10 remote starts need is the bypass. Those run $100 at our shop, and an extra $30 for install. The best way is to go down there and have the tech walk you through everything.

I dunno what fords warranties are, but we garuntee our workmanship for the lifetime of the vechicle, and thats good at every bestbuy nation wide. Viper alarms also have a limited lifetime warranty when installed by an authorized installer (doesnt matter where you buy it). So just remember to take that into account when your making your decision. I highly doubt that ford will give you that same warranty on their labor/product.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey SunDevil, yeah it's too late. But, that $410 for a Viper 5701 installed is by-far the best price I've seen on any...much less one with the quality of the 5701. From everything I've read on all remote start/alarm systems, this is definitely the most for your money. Wish I'd waited another day. Thanks for the info...it might help others.

So, if anyone is considering a Viper 5701 installed...checkout BestBuy. I got a quote from a place in College Station, TX yesterday for a 5701 installed, at $650. So, BestBuy's price looks great compared to that.

Thanks again SunDevil.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Just talked to Travis from www.kcautosound.com today. He now carries Viper and will be offering those in a pre-wire package. Although he always carried Python... same thing pretty much.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?