2004 - 2008 F-150

Need an opinion on my existing tow package

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an opinion on my existing tow package

So I have an 04 scab xl 4.6
I'm going to be using it to haul a uhaul around but I just bought a new black bumper (amazing deal) to replace my beat up chrome bumper.
My problem is the new bumper doesn't have the factory tow hitch cut out but my current bumper has the tow package.
I'm also ordering a class III hitch and installing it at the same time as the bumper.

Should I drill a hole to keep the factory hitch or just ditch it since I'm installing the new class III hitch?
What's your opinions?
Also what would the perks be for keeping the factory hitch ?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Personally, I'd ditch the factory hitch. I don't see much need for it once you mount the Class III receiver.

- Jack

Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The
Originally Posted by F1ferfty
So I have an 04 scab xl 4.6
I'm going to be using it to haul a uhaul around but I just bought a new black bumper (amazing deal) to replace my beat up chrome bumper.
My problem is the new bumper doesn't have the factory tow hitch cut out but my current bumper has the tow package.
I'm also ordering a class III hitch and installing it at the same time as the bumper.

Should I drill a hole to keep the factory hitch or just ditch it since I'm installing the new class III hitch?
What's your opinions?
Also what would the perks be for keeping the factory hitch ?

Thanks in advance
I'm confused. When you say your bumper has a factory tow package, do you just mean the ball mounted to the bumper? A tow package/factory hitch would be a class 3/4 mounted to the frame with a trans cooler and 4 pin/7 blade harness.

That said, if you're having a class III hitch installed and are asking if you should keep a bumper mounted hitch too, I'd say no. I'd also never tow anything on a bumper either.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 08-30-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm talking about the ball on the bumper.
I also have the harness there so I thought it was a tow package of some sort?
I was confused myself of the purpose of it because i thought it was only for hauling a little bit of firewood or something and the class 3 for trailers and such.
I appreciate the advice guys, I'll just take it off and throw it in the garage for now

Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F1ferfty
I'm talking about the ball on the bumper.
I also have the harness there so I thought it was a tow package of some sort?
I was confused myself of the purpose of it because i thought it was only for hauling a little bit of firewood or something and the class 3 for trailers and such.
I appreciate the advice guys, I'll just take it off and throw it in the garage for now
Not a problem.

You probably have the 4pin connector under the bumper. All the trucks come factory like that.

A true factory tow package consists of the frame mounted hitch, 4 pin and 7 blade harness and a transmission cooler. I know I already said that, but just to ease any confusion haha.

That said, if you have the frame mounted hitch, a bumper hitch ball would be pointless and may even look goofy.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Not a problem.

You probably have the 4pin connector under the bumper. All the trucks come factory like that.

A true factory tow package consists of the frame mounted hitch, 4 pin and 7 blade harness and a transmission cooler. I know I already said that, but just to ease any confusion haha.

That said, if you have the frame mounted hitch, a bumper hitch ball would be pointless and may even look goofy.
Yeah I was thinking the same about the looks.

Once these bumpers arrive, I will be working on my flow thru console conversion as well (if I can score front buckets)
I'll be keeping you guys updated
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need an opinion on my existing tow package