2004 - 2008 F-150

Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner

If I get CAI for my 07 screw do I need to get a tuner for the 5.4? I dont want to destroy my motor

Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
you dont NEED it, but most will suggest it, since the 04-05's notoriously run lean. I'm not 100% sure of the effects on an 07, though.

i love my gryphon, nuff said.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by falmes
If I get CAI for my 07 screw do I need to get a tuner for the 5.4? I dont want to destroy my motor
Regardless of year, if the intake you are considering causes a change in the MAF Transfer function, requiring correction to run safely, then a custom tuner IS required. No canned tune will do this, unless the CAI model is specifically supported by the canned device (e.g certain Superchips models).

And NO, the PCM cannot correct for this - specific tuning correction is the ONLY way. Don't let the asshats tell ya different

Do yerself a big favour - and be proactive (unlike a lot of folks who go ahead & add intakes and other stuff without thinking) - CALL one of the respected custom tuners and ASK them - first.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

"We can tune for different cold air intakes on 05+ Mustangs and 04+ F150s. Any aftermarket intake that flows well and puts the slot-style MAF sensor into a larger less restrictive housing is going to REQUIRE a tune for the vehicle to run properly. Intakes that do not require a tune are often just as restrictive as stock and do not result in large power gains." - VMP

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl

http://gopowerhungry.com/

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-31-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Correct, you'll need a tune since the MAF sensor housing is going to be larger which is going to make the engine run leaner. A tuner like a custom tuned Xcal3 will fix this.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by FordRacer2005
Correct, you'll need a tune since the MAF sensor housing is going to be larger which is going to make the engine run leaner. A tuner like a custom tuned Xcal3 will fix this.
Clarification:

That is the common misconception. The effect is on the MAF TF table hardcoded in the tune. The relationship between MAF counts and actual mass airflow being measured is altered with certain CAI's. It outputs inaccurate data. Hence the required manual, hardcoded correction.

It has nothing to do with just being larger or whatever; by merely changing the shape of the intake in that region, or the MAF's location, is enough to pecker this.

The respected tuners have pre-configured MAF TF's on file to essentially 'plug-in' to their custom tunes, for those intakes that they have tested. Each and every intake (save the stock unit), needs this type of empirical data collection if MAF interaction is evident/suspected.

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-31-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I am still not sure what is correct. I am thinking of getting a Spectre CAI. Any body running a CAI with out a tuner.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
can I ask why you want a CAI?

The reason I ask, without custom tunes, a CAI adds only about 6 to 8 HP. A tuner will do 4 times as much. Spend your money on a tuner. Now a CAI with a custom tune will add about 12 to 16 HP.

Last edited by Bluejay; 01-31-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by falmes
I am still not sure what is correct. I am thinking of getting a Spectre CAI. Any body running a CAI with out a tuner.
After reading the above, what part is not clear to you?

Simple - call one of the custom tuners.

Anyone running a full-on CAI - e.g. something like the Spectre, K&N, S&B, Volant, AFE, 3.25 or 3.5" AF1, etc for 04+ trucks, is just asking for trouble.

The fact that there are peeps doing so without a tune, does not mean they are right....

If THAT is going to be your criteria, well.... yer truck. Not smart, IMHO.

Can't afford those phone call? Those tuner folks also have email

Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
can I ask why you want a CAI?

The reason I ask, without custom tunes, a CAI adds only about 6 to 8 HP. A tuner will do 4 times as much. Spend your money on a tuner. Now a CAI with a custom tune will add about 12 to 16 HP.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
What did I say that is wrong?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 AM
If you get a CAI , you should get a tuner that is custom tuned so that you are getting the most that you possibly can out of the CAI.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 AM
After reading the above, what part is not clear to you?

Simple - call one of the custom tuners.

Anyone running a full-on CAI - e.g. something like the Spectre, K&N, S&B, Volant, AFE, 3.25 or 3.5" AF1, etc for 04+ trucks, is just asking for trouble.

The fact that there are peeps doing so without a tune, does not mean they are right....

If THAT is going to be your criteria, well.... yer truck. Not smart, IMHO.

Can't afford those phone call? Those tuner folks also have email

bro, where do you get your info from? where has anyone said they burned their motors up from running a CAI without a tune on an F150? Running a little lean with a CAI w/o a tune isn't the best thing, but it's not significant enough to burn up your motor, unless your enduro racing your truck at 100+mph.

everyone in this thread already said that the truck will probably run lean and should get an intake, no one disagreed with ANYTHING you said, but you're still badgering everyone for everything they wrote.

you want proof it can work? I ran my k&n fipk for 35k miles without any tuner and my cylinder head temperatures hovered between 182-191 (under hard running conditions)... if you've done your research, you'll see that these temps are significantly lower than most/all F150s running with stock intakes. low temps = balanced a/f ratios.

why are you going to go and literally de-grade people based on hear-say?

Last edited by bambo2888; 02-01-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by bambo2888

you want proof it can work? I ran my k&n fipk for 35k miles without any tuner and my cylinder head temperatures hovered between 182-191 (under hard running conditions)... if you've done your research, you'll see that these temps are significantly lower than most/all F150s running with stock intakes. low temps = balanced a/f ratios.
That is the biggest crock of BS I've read in a very long time, and it confirms that you have absolutely NO clue about what you are talking about.

Cylinder head temps are controlled by yer COOLING system. It's EXHAUST GAS temps that you need to worry about, bamby. As running lean causes EGT's to go up. Perf tunes are set up to be on the lean side - a consequence of the tune's requirement to extract more power. Tow tunes, on the other hand, run a little richer - TO CONTROL EGT's, as heavy towing has a tendency to raise those as a function of load. YOU CANNOT INFER ACCURATE A/F's WITHOUT A WIDEBAND TO MEASURE THEM. My god, man - WTF are you thinking????

If yer truck had one of the factory calibrations that had an existing lean (or rich) tendency - it has happened, more than you know - then an uncorrected TF can indeed be very sub-optimal and indeed even hazardous. Folks have had 15:1 -16:1 and leaner factory lean issues right out of the box - this, under WOT conditions, are not good for power, or yer motor over time.

And - it's NOT strictly about running overly lean - it can also be running overly rich - again solely a function of how skewed the TF has become. The MAF CANNOT know what is truly going on if the conditions for which it was initially calibrated, in the STOCK venturi, are disturbed. It's based upon sampling, an then inferring from a table. If the sample is off, the lookup is going to be wrong. With no recourse but a manual tuning correction.

Heasay, you say? Perhaps you should also contact one of the tuners. I got this info from Troyer Performance, and other info over the years all across this board, from acknowledged experts. Sa you do not care to look.

Please - just call a tuner, okay? Hopefully you still have an open mind and are willing to learn. If not, well ... sucks to be you.

I'm done here. The level of ignorance is simply stunning

This is becoming pointless. MGD signing off. Bye folks.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
That is the biggest crock of BS I've read in a very long time, and it confirms that you have absolutely NO clue about what you are talking about.

Cylinder head temps are controlled by yer COOLING system. It's EXHAUST GAS temps that you need to worry about, bamby. As running lean causes EGT's to go up. Perf tunes are set up to be on the lean side - a consequence of the tune's requirement to extract more power. Tow tunes, on the other hand, run a little richer - TO CONTROL EGT's, as heavy towing has a tendency to raise those as a function of load. YOU CANNOT INFER ACCURATE A/F's WITHOUT A WIDEBAND TO MEASURE THEM. My god, man - WTF are you thinking????

If yer truck had one of the factory calibrations that had an existing lean (or rich) tendency - it has happened, more than you know - then an uncorrected TF can indeed be very sub-optimal and indeed even hazardous. Folks have had 15:1 -16:1 and leaner factory lean issues right out of the box - this, under WOT conditions, are not good for power, or yer motor over time.

And - it's NOT strictly about running overly lean - it can also be running overly rich - again solely a function of how skewed the TF has become. The MAF CANNOT know what is truly going on if the conditions for which it was initially calibrated, in the STOCK venturi, are disturbed. It's based upon sampling, an then inferring from a table. If the sample is off, the lookup is going to be wrong. With no recourse but a manual tuning correction.

Heasay, you say? Perhaps you should also contact one of the tuners. I got this info from Troyer Performance, and other info over the years all across this board, from acknowledged experts. Sa you do not care to look.

Please - just call a tuner, okay? Hopefully you still have an open mind and are willing to learn. If not, well ... sucks to be you.

I'm done here. The level of ignorance is simply stunning

This is becoming pointless. MGD signing off. Bye folks.
im not even going to respond further than this. fact of the matter, YES, you CAN run a CAI without a tune, and MANY have since they purchased their new body F150s without issues. It is, however, 100% agreed that the vehicle will most likely run lean, but to different degrees. Slightly lean does NOT automatically or even remotely definitely translate into imminent damage.

you can either listen to one person's fancy verbage and condescending remarks or listen to everyone else's testimonials and advice.

oh.. and FYI, i guess the entire PHP forum is " the biggest crock of BS I've [you've] read in a very long time, and it confirms that you [I/ PHP forum] have absolutely NO clue about what you [I / PHP forum] are talking about." But yea, what do a bunch of custom-programming tuners and customers know.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gryph...tinky-cab.html

**unsubscribed**

Last edited by bambo2888; 02-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....The MAF CANNOT know what is truly going on if the conditions for which it was initially calibrated, in the STOCK venturi, are disturbed. It's based upon sampling, an then inferring from a table. If the sample is off, the lookup is going to be wrong. With no recourse but a manual tuning correction.....
The above is pretty much all you need to know about the subject. It is clear and explains in very clear English W_H_Y .

Can you run a CAI without a custom tune? Absolutely.

Have folks on this forum and other done this without any "noticeable" damage to their engine? Absolutely.

Is it possible to run a CAI without ever getting a custom tune and never experience any noticeable engine issues for the life of your ownership? Absolutely.

Would I run a CAI without a custom tune????? Absolutely not.

The experience others have had with the above combination does not mean it's a good idea nor bad, but I personally would not do this. In no way am I trying to knock the decision of those who have run a CAI w/o a tune.

Your stock tune cannot compensate for something that it does not know has changed.

Quick Reply: Tuner