2004 - 2008 F-150

Lariat Cluster wont take "as built" data

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STXbucko
Any chance you can snap a picture of it and post it here? The 04 to 08 Ford F150's had a couple of different clusters:

1) STX used two types: 1 with a tach (late 05 with manual transmissions) 1 without a tach.

2) XL used one type; no tach

3) XLT - has tach, face is black

4) Lariat - has tach, face is white (can only be used if you have "automatic climate control"

5) FX4 - Popular cluster to use in a swap; guages are arranged nicely

6) King Ranch - Can only be used if you have "automatic climate control"

So, it could be more helpful if you can describe what cluster you have more than "it's a F150 cluster"!
did you happen to read the title of this thread? its a lariat cluster that wont accept any as built data and therefore my ac does not work......shall we start at the beginning?

There are several guys despite your findings that have used xlt trucks with manual climate control in their vehicles and i would like to be one of them.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM
so what would happen if i bought the climate control system?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

would my ac then work since its looking for that module? i would likely have to add at least an ambient air temp sensor
any thoughts on this? does my XLT truck have at least some if not the required harnesses? I have no problem making the harness either.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 AM
so what would happen if i bought the climate control system?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

would my ac then work since its looking for that module? i would likely have to add at least an ambient air temp sensor
any thoughts on this? does my XLT truck have at least some if not the required harnesses? I have no problem making the harness either.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by City of Champs
did you happen to read the title of this thread? its a lariat cluster that wont accept any as built data and therefore my ac does not work......shall we start at the beginning?

There are several guys despite your findings that have used xlt trucks with manual climate control in their vehicles and i would like to be one of them.
Sorry, I did not see your title. However, I have worked with folks on another forum about 8 months ago on 04 to 08 cluster swaps. No one, I repeat, no one was able to get a Lariat cluster to operate the air conditioning clutch on a truck that had "manual control" air conditioning. They too attemped flashing. The AC compressor would not cycle on. Does not mean we are correct, but the "secret" of how to make the Lariat or King Ranch cluster is still a mystery to us.

I do not understand this statement you made:

"There are several guys despite your findings that have used xlt trucks with manual climate control in their vehicles and i would like to be one of them"

Are you saying that there are several XLT folks that have installed a Lariat cluster in their XLT (with manual climate control), and got the Lariat cluster to work (I.E. air conditioning clutch operates)?

Please correct me if I am mis-understanding what you mean.

I'll hope for you that you get success in programming that lariat cluster in your 05 XLT. However, I have testimonials from at least 3 other owners that have also tried (and failed) to flash a Lariat cluster and make the Air conditioning compressor work in anything but a truck with auto climate control (another Lariat or King Ranch).

It would seem that if there are XLT owners out there that like the white gauge faceplate of the Lariat, and they got them to work, then I would hope they share the secret of how they either "flashed out" the auto climate feature, or if they found a wiring mod to make it work, I'd like to know.

And yes, you could install the automatic climate control in your XLT; it would require the unit itself, plus a mod to your dash, or the donor trucks dash, as the automatic climate control trucks have small slits in the dash to the right of the steering column; behind these slits is an inside temp sensor used to read the interior temperature. I suppose you could install this sensor anywhere to allow it to sense the cab's temp. As to the wiring harness(s), again, it can be done; a lot easier if you could find a donor truck, bring it home, then remove everything that pertains to the automatic climate control, and install it in your XLT. In looking at a copy of the 05 Sales brochure (I have an 05 STX, so I grabbed a copy when I bought the truck), it does not show this option (automatic climate control) as "available" on XLT models.So, it might be that the XLT is missing or lacking the inside dash wiring for this feature. I have found that there are differences in the "main" wiring harnesses on different model trucks. My standard cab STX does not have the wiring capability for power windows, door locks, or power mirrors. My buddies 06 STX screw DID have this pre-wiring in the doors.

Lots of more work (and money) to get that Lariat cluster to work in your XLT.....but if you were trying to say (above) that others have been successful, then all you have to do is find one of them.

Good luck. It appears I can no longer offer you any help.

Last edited by STXbucko; 05-15-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 PM
There is a guy on the site that got the Lariat cluster to work in his XLT and had the as built info done and he claims his works like normal now...

I am in the same process, and I may see about buying the auto climate control as I have the dash and the cluster. May have to go all the way and see if it works then.
I am hope'n the as built info will work and if not see "if" it can be pinned out where the AC power is coming and going.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd be veeeeeery interested in how this got reflashed to work. Please share the details or at least the member that got it to work.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 AM
it works!!! lariat in a xlt!! now to install trip and mode buttons!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM
only answers i got was, "use the search"... Dealer fixed me up! 20 minute fix.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Could you provide us with your dealers name, and location? A phone number? This way we could perhaps send Lariat cluster to them for flashing, or tell our own dealers to contact this dealer for the workaround.

I've done alot of research on this, and dealers in my area (Florida and Texas) did not want to, nor said it could be done.

Please provide the dealer info so those with these Clusters can benefit as well. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Lariat Cluster wont take "as built" data