Carbon Fiber Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Tonneau Cover

What do you guys think about a Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover for your truck??

Old 09-16-2003, 08:25 PM
sounds interesting.. but how expensive would it be to make? And how would it stand up to abuse compared to fibreglas?

Old 09-16-2003, 10:38 PM
I saw them and liked them. My thought was that it would collect much more dirt due to the design/texture. Harder to keep clean, I went with a regular one just for that reason.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I don't think so... Since the Carbon Fiber Cover would have a clear coat finish on it (PPG) It would probably attract dirt/dust just the same as a Fiberglass Cover.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Check_your_Six
I don't think so... Since the Carbon Fiber Cover would have a clear coat finish on it (PPG) It would probably attract dirt/dust just the same as a Fiberglass Cover.
exactly what I was thinking. That's how CF hoods stand up to dirt, because they have a clear coat on them

Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 PM
My bad guys, I was talking soft tonneau. Sorry...

Old 09-18-2003, 02:57 AM
I think that the carbon fiber would be nice but much more expensive than the fiberglass. Although the weight diference I think would not be that tremendous, well not enough to justify the extra cost anyway. Your probably only looking at maybe 20-25 lbs lighter than the fiberglass. I have been looking at the Versacover tonneau lately (I think it and undercover are the same) made of ABS polymer and weigh only 50 lbs or so and this I do believe would be much lighter than even the carbon fiber. The only downside I can think of is that they have a slight texture to them which would make them look a little funny if you painted it unless there would be someway to smooth out that texture.
In case you want to check out the cover here is the link.
www.versacover.com

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I am going to do just that using the least expensive carbon fiber I can find, right now it is about $17yd but the weight savings will be a great deal as the CF is much stiffer than the FG, the finish will be glass smooth and clear to show the CF weave, that is one reason I want to use it.

I am going to do some mirror covers first to make sure I like the way it looks on the blue first. and may even make some nerf bars that way too!

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Tonneau Cover