ABS light is on

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light is on

I was driving to work today and had a stop light turn red on me. I jumped on the binders and stopped just in time. I was still at the speed limit of 35, so I wasn't going at break neck speed. Anyhow, I took off from the light and looked down the ABS light was on.

What caused this?
And, what can I do to fix this?

Old 11-22-2002, 11:01 PM
The most common cause of this seems to be the speed sensor going bad. This is located on top of the rear differential. It only takes about ten minutes to change and you ban get it at most auto parts stores for less than $20. Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2002, 05:30 PM
Does this put a code in the PCM?

Old 11-27-2002, 07:10 PM
it will set a code in the abs module, 1229 1230 or poss 1231 for 4wabs or code 9 for rabs, it may set a code in the pcm if it does it will prob. be p0500

Old 12-18-2002, 12:53 AM
I have a 2000 and my ABS light also came on, only mine did it at startup. All was fine the day before and when I started it up in the morning the light came on and has never gone off (8 days now).

Could the speed sensor go out at startup? I checked all the fuses I could that may pertain to the ABS and all were good.

I tried the brakes on the snow and there is no ABS, just regular brakes.

Any ideas?

Old 12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
trains1 the sensor can go out at any time. it works off resistance and if when tou started your vehicle that day the resistance finally increased enough there you go, i woyld always try a sensor first if you dont have access to diag. equipment, they are cheap and quick

Old 12-18-2002, 11:38 PM
Thank you tea3tx. I went today to a local part store and was told it was not available yet. While I was there the guy hooked a programer under the dash and it did not show any codes. Is this normal?

They are just starting to get parts in for the 2000's because of the 3 year warranty. Everyone with problems goes back to the dealer during that time.

If I have to I'll check out the dealer and see what the cost is there. I was also told to check the wire going to the sensor at each rear wheel to make sure they're connected and making a good contact.

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2002, 10:08 AM
KT
trains1, I have a 2000 also and it did the same thing, I have not had time to fix it yet but i did look at where it is and checked the wire connection it (the sensor) is bolted into the rear end housing and as was earlier stated seems easy to change, There is no wires or sensors at each wheel on the back just the one in the housing. I am told that 90% of the time it's this one that goes out.

Old 12-22-2002, 12:58 PM
trains, if youre abs light was on there would be a code in the system, but if it were Rear aBS only they used the wrong connector to test, if it were 4 wabs there scanner wasnt working properly or you have a power fault not allowing communication with the module. when you start your vehicle, or turn the key on, the abs light comes on and then turns off unless it sees a fault and then it comes back on, check and see if the light stays on continuosly or if it goes through its prove out sequence

Old 01-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took off from a red light and mine came on for a couyple seconds then went back off and hasn't come on since then except when you first start the truck up and it test all the warning lights and it happened today so would this be an indication mine is going bad or the brakes are getting to the point of replacement as I have the origanal brake pads and rotors on my 2000 XLT with almost 67,000 miles and they still have very good stoping power I had them checked at 60,000 and was told they was still in very good shape.

Quick Reply: ABS light is on