odd brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd brake troubles

I drove my wife’s Explorer for the first time in a long while and found it was having brake troubles. The brakes sputtered, I felt a vibration in the pedal, and it made noises (vibration like). It did not happen with every braking situation, but it did occur more than once and at slow speeds. I checked the brake fluid and front brakes – all appeared fine. I asked my wife about it and she let me know it has been happening for while, but most often when she is turning left. Any ideas other than lecturing her about letting me know when something ain’t quite right???

It is a 97 Sport, 4wd, 5 speed, 65k miles and the parking brake barely holds.

I need to do the front brakes on my f150 - should I just make it a day of doing brakes on both?

Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated.

Old 11-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Does it have ABS? My wifes car had a ABS sensor get gunked up with brake grime on one wheel, so the computer thought the wheel was locking and turned on the ABS (which would give symptoms like yours). Only happened at very slow speeds. However after a few applications of the brakes, the computer figured something was wrong and turned ABS off. Cleaning the sensor fixed it.

..................Scott

Old 11-25-2002, 09:10 PM
sounds like abs false activation. could be loose bearings, bad exciter ring (usually bent during a brake job), could also be a sensor but that would usually set a light,
make sure the sensors are tight and secure and the sensor ring is true and straight without any damage, if that does not find anything recommend dealer or ? with scanner to monitor while driving and see which sensor is not registering the correct speed or spiking

Old 05-05-2003, 09:52 PM
I have a 99 f150 with the same brake symptoms described above. Only at very slow speeds if I step on the brake it feels as though the abs is kicking in, it does not happen all the time, but most regularly when I stop at the gas pump after driving for a couple hours at 60 - 70 mph....The description above sounds reasonable....how do I check the sensors / ring ...I know where the rear sensor is....but don't know how to check it.... no clue on the front sensors...I have changed the brakes and rotors, but never noticed the sensors....also I do not have any abs light that comes on. My truck is a 4x4 4.6l, front disk / rear drum ( would have been rear disks if it was made 3 days later!!!!) Thanks for any insight!

Old 05-13-2003, 04:29 AM
I have a very similar problem with my truck of the same model as described above. Its only that i experience the vibration when braking at a speed above 50mph. Under 50, everything is normal. New turned rotors, alignment, bearings, links were all checked to be ok and no abs light that comes on. How can i turn off the abs so i could check if the problem is isolated on the abs? I want to rule out other causes before i bring it to the dealer for scanning coz i'm afraid they will replace piece by piece until they correct the problem. Appreciate very much any help.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:44 PM
A warped rotor will make the pedal pulse and the front or whole vehicle "shake" when apllying the brakes

Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
A warped rotor will definitely shake the body and make the pedal pulse but am confused coz dont you think the pedal should pulse at any speed? Mine does only above 50mph but?

Quick Reply: odd brake troubles