Rotor turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor turning

Maybe a silly question, but roughly how many times can a set of rotors be turned? I've had mine turned once already.

Old 11-06-2002, 12:45 PM

I think it depends on how much they take off. I know there's a minimum thickness that is required though. I've had mine done twice and the delear told me they are nowhere near that limit. Although I never had and gouges or anything. They just basically did a minor resurface.

Hope this helps,

John

Old 11-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks JB, I noticed them grinding this morning (very little though) and I started 2 worry, so I've got the in office mechanic looking at them, I just hope that I do not need new rotors. I'm sure that my new rims are adding weight to the truck and adding stress to the brakes.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as "DUST PLATE or COVER" that shields the rims from brake dust??

Old 11-06-2002, 03:22 PM

I would not use a brake shield, they may cause your brakes to overheat. I just installed the Hawk HPS pads and I've gone almost two weeks without washing the truck and no appreciable dust on the rims. They are the best I've ever used. My brother has the Performance Friction on his 4x4 and his rims are always dirty. Try Raceshopper.com for the pads if you can't find them locally. Also the Raybestos Ceramics are supposed to be great stoppers as well as low dusters.

Don't drive it if you can avoid it. I would suggest even towing to shop. $70 tow bill versus $250 for new rotors is a good bargain to me.

John

Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
snj
As you may have noticed from my other posts on the legacy of my brake adventures, I've gotten to know a few of the local brake places/dealerships. One of them mentioned that many shops tend to have a set amount they take off each time they turn them "as a rule of thumb". What the last place did was measure to see how much was NEEDED to be removed. granted the difference is minor, but its nice to know that there are still people who care to be accurate on things. Just a thought....

Old 11-07-2002, 08:38 PM
My original rotors were turned twice, then I decided to replace them. I have the Performance Friction Pads but may change to the Hawk HPS since I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys,

I had them turned I believe for the last time, and it came out to $175 with new pads of course. Personally I think it was a rip, but this place works right out of our office buidling's parking structure so I guess I paid for the convience. Now the rotors are showing a bit of rust, I just need 2 save a few bucks a get a set of cross drilled rotors and paint my calipers a nice RED. Does anyone know who makes a good well lasting set of CD (cross drilled) Rotors that will not kill my pocket book?? I'm thinking Brembo, but I know that they are pricey...

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Cross Drilled

You may want to rethink going the cross drilled route. I did a search on that a while back and found folks were having cracking issues. I think Powerslots may be a better option. They also make a dimpled version that simulates the cross drilled look without weakening the rotor. Check them out at www.powerslot.com

Old 11-14-2002, 12:42 PM
I see, it does make sense. If u add a hole to something you will weaken the overall structural integrity of the item.

Personally I love the look of the powerslot, I also would like to paint my calipers. Is that a task that should be take on by a pro or can I do it?? I did change my front end to that of a newer Expo, maybe it will not be as difficult.

Last edited by 98_EXPEDITION; 11-18-2002 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Painiting

I believe if you changed the front, painting the calipers would be a breeze. Again, use my favorite search function on "paitning calipers" and you should find a wealth of info. Some folks even painted them while still in place. They do look awesome.

John

Old 11-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Yes indeed, painting them would be a snap, I just need the proper kit and the time and effort to actually do it. Now, I need 2 decide on a color, or if I should go with a new set of Calipers all together and take it from there??

I am leaning twords the power/proslot rotors indefinately.... I just need 2 find a price...

Anyone know any retailers in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas??

Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 PM

If you want to go online try raceshopper.com Call the number and ask to speak with Edwin. Tell him I told you about them, he may be able to hook you up with a great price. They were the chepest I found.

John Reams

Quick Reply: Rotor turning