Rear Drum Removal...?

Old 09-01-2002, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Drum Removal...?

I just did my front rotors and pads. When I tried to inspect the rear shoes.......I couldn/t get the drums to budge. Yes the E brake is off! I tried tapping on the inside rim of the drum, no luck. Are they always this tight (a little corrosion, but not bad) or am I missing something?

Almost forgot......1998 F150, Supercab, XLT, Limited slip, 5 lug wheels.........all stock!

Last edited by CCRider; 09-01-2002 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:04 PM
If it has a bit of a lip worn into the drum I've used a big flat screwdriver and gave it a bit of a pry and off she'll go!

Old 09-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Brake adjustment tool

There's also a hole in the back side of the brake assembly that one could use a drum brake adjustment tool to loosen the pads so the drum will come off. It is harder to loosen them than it is to tighten them though. Sometimes you have to use 2 tools, a little rod or screwdriver to push the lock back while using the brake tool to loosen the barke pads.
I wouldn't pry on them very much as you could break something.
Hope it helps.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Some times there are thin metal clips screwed onto the wheel studs , they are easy to see. just make sure they are off.

I have always been able to smack it with a hammer and get it to come off. Strike it on the outside edge of the drum in several places around the drum and then try to pull it off. If you can pull on the drum while someone else strikes it that works even better.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:10 PM
Thumbs up

had the same problem w/ my 97', look around the part of the hub that sticks through the drum. it will have rust and corrosion where it meets the drum, soak it with liquid wrench (careful not to get all over the shoes) and heat 'er up with a torch ( again careful ) and pry from behind with a couple of big screw drivers or small pry bars. i did back off the adjusters as far as poss., and hammered the crap outta em w/o luck. once you get em off file out the big hole in the drum to provide a little more clearance for next time. be careful as i bent one of the drums and had to replace, due to all the prying. maybe not the best way, but several mechanics had no better ideas... good luck

Old 09-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks Guys............Firedog confirmed my original thoughts! I was hopin' I was missin' somethin'...........I guess not. I'll take it from here.......Thanks for the replys. Thanks Firedog.

See Ya.........Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Drum Removal...?