Tires/Wheels '01 Supercrew 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 03:45 PM
JRR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires/Wheels '01 Supercrew 4x4

Been researching the posts. I am stuck and need help making a decision. I love the look of the truck with the 4" lift, but I really don't want to lift it. Saw Galaxy's 01 and thought it was as close to ideal as I will come. Here are the questions:

1) Galaxy is running 305/70/16 on 16x10 wheels with some minor trimming at the air dam. Every dealer I have spoken with is concerned about the 10, but says 16x8 will work.
I have decided on the Weld Sidewinder, with the Toyo Open Country 305/70/16. I haven't figured out whether to do the 8's or the 10's? Ideas, concerns?

2) I think I decided, then I started thinking about a 285/70/17 on a 17x8; Pros, cons, ideas, suggestions?

Bottom line, I want to fill the wheel wells without lifting the truck. I am ok with some very minor trimming of the air dam. I need some direction on what the best way to go is that will meet my needs.

Thanks for the help,
JR

Old 08-29-2002, 03:55 AM
GO WITH 16 INCH WHEELS TIRES ARE CHEAPER , IM RUNNING A SET OF 16X8 TAILGUNNERS WITH 305/70/16 BUCKSHOT MAXXIS MUDDERS SO FAR THEY ARE GREAT THEIR FAIRLY QUIET AND PRETTY CHEAP TO I GOT MINE MOUNTED A BALANCED FOR AROUND 550$

Old 08-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's only one issue with the debate between 8"s and 10"s and it comes down to just this... What kind of look are you going for?? It's your opinion and that's all that matters, period.

You have all seen my truck and know it works, and trust me, I'm not the only one with 10" wheels on a non-lifted truck. IT WORKS...These tire shop guys are on crack if they're telling you 10"s wont work. It's probably there job to tell you that it wont work without some small trimming or something like that but other than that, they don't know what they're talking about. I think I have the proof.

My personal opinion (and that's all it is, my opinion) anything bigger than a 285 is too big for an 8" wheel, and a 285 is that one tire that could go either way and look good. Yes, I base this on looks.

Here's a fact for you... a tire that's too wide for a given wheel is not going to handle as good as a wider wheel on that same tire due to sidewall flex, contact patch, and thing like that. I doubt it's as critical on a truck as it would be on say my mustang at the track, but still an issue none the less. I'm sure it would come into play offroading anyways.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:25 PM
I am waiting on my new set of 285/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's. I went back and forth based on many of the posts on this site. I am mounting them on a set of polished Navigator Wheels ( 17x7.5). I am hoping to have them installed next week. I will post some pictures and any comments when I get them on the Truck.

Old 09-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Got Them On!

Here she is! I just got them on today so no real feed back. I can say however, rides a little higher and has that nice hum of a "Real" set of tires.
[IMG]https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1759[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tires/Wheels '01 Supercrew 4x4