4.56 Gears In!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.56 Gears In!!!!

Full report soon.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Ok, so I was not expecting what I got with the gears.

I was expecting a much faster off the line acceleration. Although this did improve, there is still the lag in throttle response and it just isnt THAT MUCH faster off the line.

I notice the performance jump around 30-40mph and from there on. The truck pulls much harder, seems faster, and i can accelerate up large hills without shifting gears, whereas before, the tranny would drop down 2 or so to keep up speed. At about 60 mph my RPMs were at about 2200. So that is a slight jump, but the truck does SEEMS like it is much more powerful and is much more fun to drive for sure.

The only question is: Should I have done the gears, on a scale of 1-5 (5 being super happy i spent $1200 on gears): I give it a 3

It's not that I'm not happy, but I was suited fine with the 3.55s, and although i enjoy the performance, my money might have been better spent on a TV (i have a tiny 19" one right now)...anyways, that is all.

PS- If i had already had a big tv, the gears wouldve gotten a 4 rating...

Old 08-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At about 60 mph my RPMs were at about 2200.
How would you know? A GPS might be your best way to calibrate the new gears adn tires with the speedometer.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:59 PM
have you used your

power programmer and recalibrated the computer for the gear change?

Old 08-12-2002, 10:27 PM
no, i havent re-calibrated the speedo yet...but i will soon. I just say 60mph cause thats what my friend was drivin next to me...
Like i said, the truck runs better now, and i don't regret doin the gears...just wishin they hadnt cost so much...

As a student, its kinda hard to dish out money...

Old 08-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Talking

You cant reprogram the computer to calibrate your spedometer. 97-98 models have mechanical spedometers and need to have the plastic VSS gear in the trans changed, total cost about 10 bucks at your local Ford parts dealer... Using a GPS will help you figure your actual speed.

Old 08-12-2002, 11:31 PM
that's correct nacho...

Old 08-13-2002, 01:06 PM
With a large torque convertor (mass) and a relatively high ratio first gear (2.8), you're likely seeing the effect of inertia on your launch. Assuming you're using an automatic transmission, you're likely seeing the inability of the engine to spin up fast enough under light (vehicle) load to be really noticeable to you.

If you were towing something, the effect would be dramatic -- and more in line with what you've noticed with the top-gear driveability.

If you've got a 4.6 with a stick, I'm sure the short first gear is really noticeable -- and will be really apparent in a drag-race-launch!

You've now got a real nice set-up for being able to tow a bunch -- and use top gear to boot.

Try a second-gear launch -- you'll be pleased with the lazy pull with decent performance.

Quick Reply: 4.56 Gears In!!!!