Mickey Thompson

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mickey Thompson

Hey All,

to add to my post from ealier today. Does anyone own Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX's? I heard that they make a 31x10.5-17. Has anyone seen this tire in this size?

Old 06-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they only make a 265/70-17 which is a 32x10.50. I could be wrong though. You might want to check their website.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Talking

i own a set of mickeys. i replaced the wrangler rts with the baja radial mtx. it was a night and day difference. i have about 4000 miles on the mickeys now and am very pleased with them thus far. no noticeable fuel mileage difference. i do a lot of highway driving along with off road driving as well. and they perform excellent in both areas. actually they are a quiet highway ride. and man do they clean out good in the mud. in my opinion mickeys are excellent tires. just my two cents worth.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Welcome aboard Denhamjr. I'm about do for a new set of meats on my truck, I want to buy a set of Mud Grips but can't make up my mind want brand.

PBALL

Old 07-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Talking

hey thanks , pball i really like the mickeys alot.. i used to work for bridgestone/firestone in bloomington il. i left there about 2 years ago. and i was a die hard bf man. still am to some extent. but the mickeys are just an incredible tire in my opinion. there not an lt tire. but they have a double sidewall, which really helps with tire roll, and not to mention abrasion resistance. and for the price, there was no other option for me. just my opinion though.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:09 PM
denhamjr

What kind of price did you get on the Mickeys? I haven't priced them, but I would have figured them to be a little pricey.

Of all the mud tires that I have owned, my favorite ones were the Bridgestone Dueler M/T with the Uni-T. They were great off-road, fairly quiet, and lasted a LONG time on my 4Runner.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:07 AM
Denhamjr, I know what you mean about the Mickeys, one of my friends had a 91 Nissian that had a 4 inch Trailmaster lift on it with 33" Mickeys on it and that thing was sweet, did alot of mudding with that thing! I would like to find another LT tire or at least a 6 ply or higher tire. The stock Goodyears RT/S suck, traction wise. But I have ran over alot of stuff and haven't punctured them. I should really start looking harder at tires, because I'll be lucky to make it thur the summer?

Good thing you got out of Brigestone / Firestone when you did. Hated to see them close the place but got to stay in business some how. That was awefull thing to see Brigestone and Ford break up like they did.

PBALL

Old 07-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Talking

creole, i paid 515.00 dollars for 4 tires mounted, balanced, and stems, plus disposal of the rts (ha ha). that was an every day price, no sale or anything. so 128.00 per tire for some mickeys is pretty good if you ask me.

yea pball it was sad to see them close the decatur plant, and the dueller is an awesome tire. the only reason i went with mickeys is because of there double sidewall, other than that it would have been the bridgestone duellers. i know the combination of the explorer and the wilderness was bad on both companys parts, but what people dont realize is that, bridgestone/firestone did not design the wilderness. (yes thats right) ford gave firestone the specs to build the tire, we just built it. firestones worst problem in my eyes was the fact that they (the japanese) are not good public relations people. i think that if firestone would have been more visual in the publics eyes, maybe it would not have been so bad for them. just my opinion...........

Last edited by denhamjr; 07-10-2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Denhamjr I would agree with that about Firestone not being good PR people. Didn't hear a whole lot from them during the big controversey. {sp}

What size of tires do you have on your truck? I was wondering. Thanks.

PBALL

Last edited by PBALL; 07-10-2002 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Talking

265/70/17...........i had really thought about going down to a 16" rim just for the simple fact that there are so many different options for the 16 versus the 17"...but there are going to be a lot more 17" tires available within the next year and a half......

Old 07-11-2002, 02:19 AM
I was hoping you said you had gotten the 17's. That's what I got, and even though there are tons of 16 options out there, I just really don't to buy 16 for the truck. I guess time will tell. lol..
Thanks for the info!

PBALL

Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Talking mickey thompsom baja mtx's

well just to update on this post.......... i have had the mickeys for 2 years now and just a little over 50,000 miles on them and they are just now looking like they needed to be changed. a lot of higway miles along with offroad miles as well. i would say 70 % highway and 30% offroad. probably gonna get another set. they do make a 33-12.50/17 now. so i might check into that price.
denhamjr.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
denhamjr I see you are from IL , I am from WI and that would put our driving conditions fairly similar. How do these tires handle in the snow and rain as far as traction. I will go off the road very little and really am concerned about the on road traction.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Oh and go Packers!

Old 05-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Talking

J.D. They are excellent tires in the snow and rain. Very good all around traction. The only thing i can see with these tires is i think you need to rotate them as needed. I missed a rotation and i could tell they started to wear a little more . But Ithink that goes for any tire. They seemed to me to get just a little noisy when wore down pretty good but not real bad. All around excellent tire for me. I'll buy another set.
denhamjr.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Tires update chat

Ok this has been good to read your stories and costs on tires...I have the R/ST goodyears 265/70/17 came with my truck...I don't find them so good in rain wet highways...I don't go off road but drive on pavement mostly...What would be a good tire to ride quite and hold the road in rain and snow...And what would be a good price for 4 on my truck...Oh I don't tow anything...Thanks for the info....

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson