Brake Problem

Old 06-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Problem

First of all this truck belongs to my husband and I would never claim it!! He is not a mechanic what so ever and furthermore should never come near it with a tool box but doesn't listen to me!

He had a brake squeal so after taking the left front tire off discovered the brake pad had no pad on it. He changed it and now has no brakes at all. The pedal goes all the way to the floor easy enough that a toddler could apply it.

We worked all day on bleeding the lines but either he's doing something wrong or that wasn't the problem.

Why am I researching this problem?? We are suppose to leave for our extended beach vacation in a week and this truck pulls our camper. Does anyone have any idea of what to do besides trying to have it towed into a professional which is what I suggested??

Old 06-18-2002, 04:00 PM
busted line?

Does the master cylinder reservoir hold fluid or is fluid puddling up under the front left of the truck?
First thing I would look for is a busted line running to that caliper, if that's the case replace and bleed. If air entered the system you'll probably have to bleed all four corners.
Did he change both sets of front pads?(highly recomended) If so check lines leading to front right caliper also. Often times the caliper falls from wherever it is propped and can easily tear the rubber line.
If it holds and there are no puddles of DOT3 post more info. year,model, etc.
Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2002, 05:01 PM
The reservoir is holding fluid and doesn't seem to be leaking or at least the level is holding it's own. He only was having to refill after bleeding for a while. Is it really important that you bleed them in a certain sequence? Such as rear left, front left etc.?? There isn't any fluid puddling up under the truck either.

He only changed the one pad so far. Once he tried to see if he stil had brakes and didn't, he stopped at that. It's a 98 F-150 XL styleside 4 x 4

Old 06-18-2002, 05:31 PM
I would examine the line where the rubber meets the fittings carefully first. As for bleeding you should start at the brake furthest from the master cylinder so... RR,RL,FR,FL.
I place a length of claer hose over the bleeder valve and run it into a clear bottle with some fluid in it to keep the hose submerged, person 1 step on pedal and hold person 2 loosen valve after air fluid escape tighten, person 1 release pedal, repeat until no more air is present.
I don't mean to tell you something you already know but I've seen the order confused and the air remained trapped.
Again good luck and I'm sure others will offer advice too.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice and you didn't tell me something I already know. That's why I posted. WE'll try that order and see if we can see a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Problem