Goodyear AT/S or BFG AT???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear AT/S or BFG AT???

I am trying to decide which tire go get... I drive mainly on road, but like to play in the snow, but we don't get much of it in Indiana. I have heard nothing but good things about the BFG. Goodyear claims great traction in snow, but Tirerack.com reviews from owners seem to show snow traction is not all that great, but it is cheaper than the BFG. Any info would be helpful...thanks

Old 12-28-2001, 10:57 AM
I had the goodyear AT/s to replace the firecraps on my old ranger, terrible. could never get traction in the rain, mud, sand etc. I swapped them out with a set of BFG all terrains and i get excellent traction. Remember that the tires are the only safety feature that contact the road. don't skimp around here. I know i sound like a commercail but i would never get the goodyears again, its scary to spin out in oncoming traffic trying to pull out into a street.
pat

Old 12-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Have you thought about

Have you thought about taking a look at the Bridgestone Dueler ATs? They have great traction, better than the Wrangler AT/S there were on my truck to start, and they are treadlife warrantied up to 50,000 miles. I have the second set on my truck right now, and wouldn't think about putting another tire on my truck. The BFG's are good tires, but I wouldn't spend $180 for tires that aren't going to be around for more than 30,000 miles. I have 61,000 miles on my truck now, and haven't had any problems with snow traction, wet pavement, or mud with the Dueler ATs, and there are a lot of people here that have them on their trucks. Just another tire to think about.
David

Old 12-28-2001, 03:07 PM
Consider ProComp At's also if you are willing to goto a larger tire. You can get them buy 3 get 1 free and www.4wheelparts.com for around $170 a tire. I love mine so far. They are rated for severe weather use, and have a 50,000 mile warrenty.

Old 12-28-2001, 04:27 PM
I can't go with the Bridgestones because I have 17" wheels. I am considering dropping down to 16's though. The reason I am scared of procomps is that I have to order them and it bothers me to think that if I had to replace a damaged tire in a hurry I would be screwed because I would have to order it, and my spare would be slightly smaller since I would get the 33x12.50 17's I have been kicking around different options for a few weeks. I am lucky that 4wheelparts has extended the free shipping until the 31st incase I decide to go with a tire wheel combo. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2001, 01:19 AM
I've got AT/S useless in the snow & ice if it wasn't for 4x4 I would get anywhere. I'll NEVER buy goodyear agian, replacing them in Jan with Cooper Discoverer S/T
http://www.coopertires.com/tire/
check them out cheaper than BFG & GY

Old 12-29-2001, 02:34 AM
TRK
I agree you should at least check out the Coopers. I've got Mastercrafts by Cooper on mine and they've been great - excellent traction in the rain, much better than the Goodyear junk that I bought it with. I've got some friends with the Discover A/T's and they're pleased as well.

Old 12-29-2001, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by ExplorerX50V8
Remember that the tires are the only safety feature that contact the road. don't skimp around here.
This is true, i had drivers ed a ''while back'' and that is what the teacher always said, i had a lil go around with the truck this winter on some ice, bad stuff.... Lucky i didn't hit anything

Old 12-29-2001, 10:46 AM
Ive got BFG AT's on the Expedition, love em. We get a fair amount of snow and rain where I am and have had nothing but good times with them. Pretty good perfomrer in the mud as well, I would definatley recommend them.

Old 12-30-2001, 01:49 PM
I put AT-S's on my '97 F-150 less than 20k back. That was either mid or late '98. I've only got 37k on it now. At least half my driving is on gravel/logging/ranch roads. This ain't no town car ya' know.

Anyway, I was pretty satisfied with the way they handled the mud, snow and muck up until this past fall. In past years when we've hunted we've had snow on most of the roads and trails we travel. This year was bone dry and we had a lot of rock exposed instead of our typical snow. After two weeks on these roads/trails most of the tread was literally ripped off these tires. I'm very disappointed and dissatisfied with them. We've run these same roads in the spring and early fall in our '98 Explorer with Michelins and they don't show any wear at all.

In the past I've been pretty much a BFG Mud T/A fan. I have run Michelin, Kelley and Dunlop but always went back to BFG. I'm going back again. I've never seen a set of tires self destruct the way these did.

Hope you don't plan any rock running.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:22 AM
jeremyb,
Go with the BFG AT/KO's 265/70/17. I am running these on stock 7.5" rim's & soon switching them to FX4 rim's which I picked up.
These tire's are excellent IMO. I've ran them on every truck since 1985 when I first discovered them. The first thing I do when I get a new truck is put BFG all-terrain's on. My Goodyear's are laying in my basement with about 100 mile's on them. The BFG's have a square shoulder on them so they look excellent over the stock tire's. It really make's a big difference in the look's beside's being an excellent tire. I can't wait to see how they look on my FX4 rim's.
Later...Mike

Old 12-31-2001, 03:49 PM
Jeremyb -
Well, you can get the Bridgestone Dueler AT's because they make them in a 26570r17, that is exactly what I have on my truck and love them.
David

Old 01-01-2002, 07:30 PM
oh really? Thanks....I think all the tire dealers around here are stupid...they freak out and tell me they can't help me when they find I have 17's! Thanks

Old 01-01-2002, 08:21 PM
hey mnford99 . . i'm with you . . the bridgestone dueler AT is one mighty fine tire. and unlike many tires that are decent in mud and snow, this tire is also great on ice because of the large amount of tread siping.

bob, white bear lake, MN

Old 01-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Crappy Goodyears, Great Bridgestones

Definetely check out Bridgestone Dueler ATs.
TONS better than the garbage Goodyears!!

Quick Reply: Goodyear AT/S or BFG AT???