Paint Lightning Wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint Lightning Wheels???

Hey guys,
Can Lightning wheels be painted (in original form, not chromed)? What has to be done to paint them? I would like to put a set on my '98 Lariat and have them painted the Prairie Tan color of my lower two-tone paint, but not if it will be a major undertaking and cost a lot of $$$. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2001, 03:12 PM
They're painted from the factory so I don't see why not. Just sandblast, prime, & paint I would think.

Old 11-02-2001, 12:47 PM
Chipper,
Thanks for the info. I really like your truck! That is the same setup I would like to have (of course with the color-coordinated theme). I have looked at one more tire, a Michelin Cross-Country (?) SUV 275/55R18, like the new Blackwoods come with. They're just a tiny bit lower and narrower than the 285's, but probably not enough to notice. Mainly, they're cheaper, though. Tirerack has them for $138 each. How much were yours (Pirelli Scorpions, right)? I can't see ever putting the F1's on there, at $225 each, and you're looking at replacing them at 20000 miles. No wonder there are so many used Lightnings for sale in the classifieds. I figure the Michelins are made a little sturdier, if rated a good bit slower in the speed department. I don't need to go any faster than the Michelins will go. Did you have to make any modifications to the brakes when you installed the L wheels? I've read in other threads that some bracket had to be bent to keep from rubbing the rim. Is this true? I appreciate your help. By the way, do you know of anybody else in the Galleries who has a SuperCab truck with L wheels? If so, let me know so I can look them up. I've seen SlickWilly2's truck, which is very sweet! Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2001, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments Fordman.
I didn't get the Scorps. I got the Michelin Pilot LTX's. LOVE THEM TOO!
I didn't have to make any modifications what so ever regarding the brakes rubbing the wheels or anything else. The only mod I'll have to make is filing or bending some piece of metel so the tires won't rub so much when I make sharp turns.
Slickwillie is the only person I know that has them on their xcab.
Glad I could help!

Old 11-05-2001, 03:22 PM
Fordman3 - thanks for the compliment. I've put about 2k miles on the Scorps, and they've behaved rather well. I think I paid $168 each at the TireRack. I do get rubbing on the driver side tire (on the tire, not the rim) about 1/8 turn from lock. I've been thinking about bending that bracket, but man is it a thick bracket! One thing with the Scorps - the ride did get a bit harsher at 35psi, but I recently installed the Edelbrock IAS shocks at each corner, and boy, what a difference! It feels like the stock tires are back on, so I'm happy with the ride now. Mike from Performance recently sent me a custom flipchip, and I have to be careful not to file those tires down - could get pretty expensive!

Good Luck - let us know what you go with

Chipper - good to hear from you - your ride is looking awesome!

SlickWilly

Quick Reply: Paint Lightning Wheels???